Running Proxmox without SVM (virtualization) enabled for LXC containers?

en4ble

Feb 24, 2023
Hi,
New to proxmox so I apologize for the ignorance.

So I have built new system based on x570 board and 5900x CPU.

I have encountered issues with installation of the proxmox when SVM is enabled. Proxmox would crash during the wizard and reboot. As soon as you disable SVM installation goes smooth.

Now, I've enabled SVM after the install and it seems like system is OK, can access the UI but I'm concern I may have issues down the line.

My question is (since I maybe don't understand SVM feature) if I can run proxmox without SVM on when running LXC ubuntu 20.04 containers? Ubuntu will run docker and monodb.

I will also install pfsense but that needs to be regular VM.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance!

I have encountered issues with installation of the proxmox when SVM is enabled. Proxmox would crash during the wizard and reboot. As soon as you disable SVM installation goes smooth.
That's weird and I have not read about such an issue before. Which version of Proxmox did you install? What make and model motherboard and BIOS version did you use?
Now, I've enabled SVM after the install and it seems like system is OK, can access the UI but I'm concern I may have issues down the line.
I run a 5950X on a X570 board and it works fine. I would not expect hardware virtualization support to be or become a problem later on.
My question is (since I maybe don't understand SVM feature) if I can run proxmox without SVM on when running LXC ubuntu 20.04 containers? Ubuntu will run docker and monodb.
I also run Proxmox inside VMs (without nested virtualization, so no SVM for those Proxmox installations) with containers and it runs fine.
Lost of reports on this forum about people having trouble running Docker inside a container! Best to run Docker inside a VM.

Update the motherboard BIOS (to AGESA 1.2.0.7 at least) and just enable it. Report problems when and if they occur with information from the system logs.

EDIT: The installer does not make use of SVM and I think it's not worth the trouble to find the problem with the installer, since Proxmox got installed.
If you run into new problems with your current Proxmox , please report them and include system logs or screenshots. Hopefully, you'll never run into this issue again after updating Proxmox.

Last edited:
That's weird and I have not read about such an issue before. Which version of Proxmox did you install? What make and model motherboard and BIOS version did you use?

I run a 5950X on a X570 board and it works fine. I would not expect hardware virtualization support to be or become a problem later on.

I also run Proxmox inside VMs (without nested virtualization, so no SVM for those Proxmox installations) with containers and it runs fine.
Lost of reports on this forum about people having trouble running Docker inside a container! Best to run Docker inside a VM.

Update the motherboard BIOS (to AGESA 1.2.0.7 at least) and just enable it. Report problems when and if they occur with information from the system logs.

"That's weird and I have not read about such an issue before. Which version of Proxmox did you install? What make and model motherboard and BIOS version did you use?" - 7.3 and 7.2 same behavior. I have tested hardware and all checked out. Its Gigabyte x570x Aorus Elite.

"Update the motherboard BIOS (to AGESA 1.2.0.7 at least) and just enable it. Report problems when and if they occur with information from the system logs." - bios was first thing to be upgraded to newest greatest (came with 2021 build)

One error I was able to grab before reboot was "unsupported_kind" see attached picture. Wizard installation would freeze randomly on different pages, mouse would still work but you couldn't go back or next. Many times once all configured instead of installation progress it would just reboot.

Only way to get it stable was to disable SVM>install proxmox. After that I have enabled SVM and it seems like system is fine (for now) but again I'm afraid of random crashes so I'm just trying to figure out if SVM is really needed - going back to original question maybe I just don't understand use case for SVM - could you help me with that aspect please?!

I apologize for the ignorance again!

Attachments

• proxCrash.JPG
    proxCrash.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi,
New to proxmox so I apologize for the ignorance.

Technically, Proxmox should run containers without virtualization turned on, Unfortunately you would not be able to run pfSense on PVE with SVM disabled.

Please try and find the root cause which might restrict proxmox to install with SVM disabled, Photos and logs from installation would be of great help.

Were there any error prompts or logs, if yes then please share photos.

Ensure you have updated the BIOS and using the latest proxmox pve iso available.

Regards,

Technically, Proxmox should run containers without virtualization turned on, Unfortunately you would not be able to run pfSense on PVE with SVM disabled.

Please try and find the root cause which might restrict proxmox to install with SVM disabled, Photos and logs from installation would be of great help.

Were there any error prompts or logs, if yes then please share photos.

Ensure you have updated the BIOS and using the latest proxmox pve iso available.

Regards,
"Please try and find the root cause which might restrict proxmox to install with SVM disabled, Photos and logs from installation would be of great help." - with SVM disabled I actually was able to install proxmox with no issues. Later enabling it. There were no logs other than the one I shared. It would say to do ctr+something +f2 to see but system would just reboot not allowing to grab anything - constant loop.

Bios is upgraded to the newest. Running on 7.3/7.2 didn't make a difference

EDIT: The installer does not make use of SVM and I think it's not worth the trouble to find the problem with the installer, since Proxmox got installed.
If you run into new problems with your current Proxmox , please report them and include system logs or screenshots. Hopefully, you'll never run into this issue again after updating Proxmox.
I agree, cross fingers. I've tested svm isos are working fine now. But again this is super strange. I've installed so many proxmox servers on b550 motherboards and never had this problem. I think there might be some kind of compatibility issue between the hardware. I've ruled out pretty much everything minus the motherboard. Strange..either way thank You for support!

One error I was able to grab before reboot was "unsupported_kind" see attached picture. Wizard installation would freeze randomly on different pages, mouse would still work but you couldn't go back or next. Many times once all configured instead of installation progress it would just reboot.

Only way to get it stable was to disable SVM>install proxmox. After that I have enabled SVM and it seems like system is fine (for now) but again I'm afraid of random crashes so I'm just trying to figure out if SVM is really needed - going back to original question maybe I just don't understand use case for SVM - could you help me with that aspect please?!

I apologize for the ignorance again!
Looks like the open-source driver (nouveau) don't work with your NVidia GPU and some memory access by the GPU is unexpected/illegal according to the IOMMU. The IOMMU, which is on by default (if it is no disabled in the BIOS) is also disabled when disabling SVM. After Proxmox installation and updates, the nouveau driver is also updated and you'll probably never run into this issue again.

Looks like the open-source driver (nouveau) don't work with your NVidia GPU and some memory access by the GPU is unexpected/illegal according to the IOMMU. The IOMMU, which is on by default (if it is no disabled in the BIOS) is also disabled when disabling SVM. After Proxmox installation and updates, the nouveau driver is also updated and you'll probably never run into this issue again.
Could be the case @leesteken since my previous builds with 550 was always with 5700g so didn't have to use dedicated GPU. Just wondering is there a way to deploy prox headless? But thank You for explanation this makes sense now....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!