Routing with IPv6

SamTzu

Renowned Member
After a looong strugle with RADVD I finally got Proxmox LXC containers to receive IP:s (and even DNS) from pfSense firewall on WAN side. Woohooo!
Problem is that RADVD is REALLY picky about working unless you offer it /64 CIDR network (and it really does not like my /48 network.)
I still can't get RADVD to offer correct route though.
Any way to force Proxmox to route LXC containers trough correct GW?

Problem seems to be the lack of IPv4 address and GW.
For some reason Proxmox host always seems to default to IPv4 GW (DHCP) instead of IPv6 (RADVD) that don't even show with "ip route" command inside LXC container. So when the container does not get any IPv4 address routing breaks down.

My intent is to get IPv6 (RADVD) to work with LXC containers without any IPv4 address's or need for 3'rd party FW.

Last edited:
Why don't you just take one /64 from the /48 (which consists of 65536 /64) ?

"ip route" command inside LXC container.
for ipv6 you need to provide the '-6' option:
`ip -6 route`

I hope this helps!

Difficult to test routing in a live environment.
ISP routes to pre-defined address and that's it.
I finally got it to work by splitting the 48 on FW/Router in two using 56 networks. One for WAN and one for LAN and then splitting the LAN to use 64 for RADVD/DHCPv6 with Managed RA-Flags.
I used to love pfSense back in the IPv4 days but now I curse it's name to the lowest depths.
I still can't use 10.0.0.x network on WAN side. I guess I don't really need it since IPv6 has so many addressess but many OS's still default to IPv4 on many things and work poorly without IPv4 address.

I still can't use 10.0.0.x network on WAN side.
either your firewall VM or the PVE host would need to do NAT to a public ipv4 address

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!