Restore Disk as secondary drive in PVE

Cookiefamily

Jan 29, 2020
Germany
Hello,
we are currently using eve4pve-barc for backing up our Proxmox Cluster but are interested in using PBS in the future.
One feature missing (or maybe it is there, just well hidden and I didn't catch it in the documentation): Restoring a disk without replacing the original drive. Sometimes we want to attach the restored disk to the system that is still running, mount it and restore some files without overwriting the "original" disk.

One could argue that you should use file backup in this case, but this doesn't help with the second benefit of the secondary drive approach: Restoring with minimal downtime. To restore a Proxmox Backup the VM needs to be shut down, then proxmox starts copying over the files and starts it afterwards. If you could restore the disk while the VM is still running and just switch the boot medium the downtime would be no longer than a simple reboot.

If that feature is already avaible but I missed it: Can someone link me to the documentation?
And if that feature isn't implemented yet, I would like to submit this as a feature request.

something like this is already planned, not yet implemented though (at least not in this way)

what you can do is restore a single drive from the backup, and import it to the vm

alternatively, you can simply restore a complete backup to a different vmid, and restore via network

what you can do is restore a single drive from the backup, and import it to the vm
How do I do that? Tried adding a second drive to the VM and then restore with proxmox-backup-client restore vm/101/2020-09-18T09:16:53Z drive-virtio0.img /dev/vdb but that doesn't work

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!