Restore a lxc-container

another_dave

Sep 15, 2020
I tried to upgrade my PVE Server, and accidentally smashed it, so I decided to set up a new one.
Every ISO and every template got coppied successfully, but I still cant restore (on my local -> content -> select backup / restore) the backup
The server always tell me:

Code:
  Logical volume "vm-107-disk-0" created.
mke2fs 1.44.5 (15-Dec-2018)
Discarding device blocks:    4096/5242880               done                           
Creating filesystem with 5242880 4k blocks and 1310720 inodes
Filesystem UUID: ce254b2a-1ad9-4764-8ba5-11c72bcb5997
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
    32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,

Allocating group tables:   0/160       done                           
Writing inode tables:   0/160       done                           
Creating journal (32768 blocks): done
Multiple mount protection is enabled with update interval 5 seconds.
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information:   0/160       done

extracting archive '/var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-lxc-107-2020_09_15-15_01_34.tar.gz'
tar: A lone zero block at 17033921
Total bytes read: 8721377280 (8.2GiB, 30MiB/s)
Architecture detection failed: open '/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory

Falling back to amd64.
Use `pct set VMID --arch ARCH` to change.
/etc/os-release file not found and autodetection failed, falling back to 'unmanaged'
got unexpected ostype (unmanaged != ubuntu)
TASK OK

I also already tried to fool him, and create a container first, and restore the container afterwards, even with the same OS (Ubuntu 16.04) but somehow it seems the Server doesn't recognize the backup as ubuntu.

hi,

tar: A lone zero block at 17033921
Architecture detection failed: open '/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory
/etc/os-release file not found and autodetection failed, falling back to 'unmanaged'

it seems like the backup might be corrupted or defect in some way? because it's not detecting anything basically. (/bin/sh or /etc/os-release)

is this happening for all the backups?

hi,

it seems like the backup might be corrupted or defect in some way? because it's not detecting anything basically. (/bin/sh or /etc/os-release)

is this happening for all the backups?

Hi,
no it's just for the containers, the VM worked just fine

oh, these are the container backups you took from PVE4.4 ? is it happening with all the containers?

Yep, those are the 4.4 Containers, but I only have 2, and before this export the other .gz files were corrupted, it didn't happen again, but maybe something different happened.

can you copy the backup files and try extracting it with tar or gzip and see what's inside?

boot dir would be normally empty in containers

but there's no /bin either which is probably why things arent working

Ok, I will try to get another Version of the .gz the container, but the old Server is not working, because i can't reinstall pve-manager or proxmox-ve because of broken packages. --fix-broken and --fix-missing won't help

because i can't reinstall pve-manager or proxmox-ve because of broken packages. --fix-broken and --fix-missing won't help

you can post the outputs of the commands maybe we can fix it

Code:
pveversion -v
apt update
find /etc/apt/ -name '*.list' -exec cat {} +
apt upgrade

I guess we cant fix anything at all, maybe I tried a little too much ._.
It runs out of memory, stops responding on web, you can't even connect via SSH, apt, aptitude, yum and snap wont work, even if i delete the lists for apt, the moment you hit update it messes up the whole apt
So yeah... thanks for the help, but it wont stay up more then 4 Minutes before crashing and I think I'll just create new containers :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!