restart pve-manager - restart containers

pve-manager is not a 'real' service but a systemd-target which is used to start and stop the guests, so restarting it will restart the guests

what are you trying to achieve? the api daemons are 'pveproxy' and 'pvedaemon'

I want to update all servers, when I try update I see next list for update:
Code:
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  pve-kernel-4.4.95-1-pve
The following packages will be upgraded:
  base-files bind9-host debconf debconf-i18n dns-root-data dnsmasq dnsmasq-base dnsutils git git-man gnupg gpgv host krb5-locales libbind9-90 libcups2 libcurl3-gnutls libdb5.3 libdbi1 libdns-export100 libdns100 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common libgnutls-deb0-28 libgnutls-openssl27 libgnutlsxx28 libgssapi-krb5-2 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common libicu52 libio-socket-ssl-perl libirs-export91 libisc-export95 libisc95 libisccc90
  libisccfg-export90 libisccfg90 libk5crypto3 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0 liblwres90 libncurses5 libncursesw5 libnss3 libpam-modules libpam-modules-bin libpam0g libpve-common-perl libssl1.0.0 libtinfo5 libx11-6 libx11-data
  libx11-xcb1 libxcursor1 libxfixes3 libxi6 libxml-libxml-perl libxml2 libxrandr2 libxtst6 linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 linux-libc-dev linux-tools-4.4 ncurses-base ncurses-bin ncurses-term openssh-client openssh-server
  openssh-sftp-server openssl perl perl-base perl-modules procmail proxmox-ve pve-cluster pve-container pve-manager pve-qemu-kvm qemu-server rsync ssh sudo tcpdump tzdata w3m wget
88 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 136 MB of archives.
After this operation, 4 606 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] q^C
Before continue I check on other server different situations, and I found this behavior - when restart pve-manager, restart containers.
I would prefer that the update does not automatically reload the working containers.

Last edited:
the update does not restart containers, since pve-manager (the systemd service) is not restarted on upgrades, only pvedaemon and pveproxy (the two services providing the API) are. exactly because of this confusion, pve-manager (again, the service ;)) was renamed to pve-guests (pve-manager is still an alias for now, but might be removed in 6.x)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!