resizing proxmox disk to make it smaller.

Joe_F

Jun 26, 2019
Is it possible to resize a proxmox disk to make it smaller? I only see the option to increase the size.
It is a windows installation.

Is it possible to resize a proxmox disk to make it smaller? I only see the option to increase the size.

in short NO
Reason: the host cannot know the filesystem and therefore know which part is used.
extending is easier as it simply makes the file bigger and set the information about it

workarounds: prefered way is using zfs with thin provisioning, prefably on a ssd or nvme.
with that you have to use scsi as guest disc, activate discard and ssd emulation.

with that: after trimming your windows diskt (disk optimization) youll see imidaitly used space will go down.
ofc you need to keep an eye once you overprovision with thin :))

the hard way:
you make a new disk with the desired space
shrink the partition in the guest to desired size (or a bit less)
boot with cdrom and a cloning tool / partition copy - copy over the whole disk from big file to small file.

detach original disk and boot from new small disk, if ok then delete old disk

i use by default 50gig imiages on thin prov. on zfs as default for winserver, only get more or additional disks where needed.
its a bliss. real worl usage is 10gig per blank win2012srv while they had initially 18gig after install and doing updates.

nothing better then sending a diskcelaup command to all guests at once cross cluster and see diskusage drop like a stone on Precious nvme storage :)

What format is the current disk in? LVM / QCOW file e.t.c

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!