Resizing HD space (root)

gmbeniamin

Feb 5, 2021
We got some issues with the root partition being too small. When we first installed Proxmox on our dedicated server we did not pay attention to this aspect and now we are struggling to empty a ever filling 20 GB root partition. We cannot reinstall Proxmox as we have valuable customer data on this specific machine.

It has Debian 10 server at its core. Is there a way to resize this partition or is it too late to solve the issue like this?

Code:
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Path                /dev/pve/data
  LV Name                data
  VG Name                pve
  LV UUID                TlzOrH-hzsP-k2Qt-Lxl0-YRQJ-sAYg-EqIPyP
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time xxxx, 2020-08-28 23:05:57 +0300
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                <906.87 GiB
  Current LE             232158
  Segments               2
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           253:0

This is the information I get when using lvdisplay. Does this mean it is a LVM? If so? How can I take some space from another partition and give it to the one with problems?

Much easier would be lvs

But yes, i think you have lvm.
You need to google a bit, but the easiest way would be to add any partition from any disk that you have, to your root partition.

But more precessional and better would be, to remove/resize your "local" partition and steal from there the free space for the root partition. Then rebuild it again xD

It's not easy, but there are good howtos, if you search for lvm expand.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: gmbeniamin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!