Resize availability on PVE

Apr 29, 2016
Hi there

We have created a Proxmox VE 4.2 cluster and discovered that support for DRBD9 is built-in. Nice work!

When we tried resizing the volume of a VM we got the following error message:
drbd volume_resize is not implemented at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/DRBDPlugin.pm line 370

We were able to resize the volume using basic commands as described in https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/migration-lvm-resize-disk-drbd.25510/#post-130391 which is fine by me.

Before we go ahead and write a script to automate these steps as a workaround I just wanted to ask whether you have any plans to integrate DRBD volume resizing in Proxmox 4.x?

I saw that you list "DRBD9 improvements" in http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Roadmap but it remains unclear what that includes exactly.

Cheers

Before we go ahead and write a script to automate these steps as a workaround I just wanted to ask whether you have any plans to integrate DRBD volume resizing in Proxmox 4.x?

The problem is that this function is not implemented in drbdmanage. We will add it as soon as the underlying tools supports it.

Thank you
Is there another way? For example backup and restore, but I don't see any option for the target disk size

drbdmanage resize-volume vm-100-disk-1 0 20GiB

seems to work in 0.96-1

Please add this feature :)

drbdmanage resize-volume vm-100-disk-1 0 20GiB

seems to work in 0.96-1

Please add this feature :)

According to the DRBD9 User Guide, volumes should be resized like this: http://www.drbd.org/en/doc/users-guide-90/s-resizing

Also, drbdmanage resize-volume seems to work incorrectly a lot of the times, leaving volumes in a state where the underlying LV was resized, by the block device exported by DRBD wasn't.

Thank you for your reply Fabian!
I made drbdmanage resize several times for testing without problems. At least with thick lvm storage plugin. Maybe some progress were made? I only noticed that the size section on the drbdmanage_*.res is not updated on the primary node, but with a node reboot drbdmanage update it
I think if you use drbdmanage (like pve), you should not use drbdadm, because the drbdmanage metadata contains old config and it will overwrite the changes, for example with a node reboot.

Hello,

I tried to use this feature today with my drbdmanaged resources.

The popup on the web gui popped up, asking me how many GB I would like to add.

After accepting i got: drbd volume_resize is not implemented at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/DRBDPlugin.pm line 370. (500)

Below find some more infos about the system/packages.
System got an update+reboot yesterday do get the actual drbd packages ( had 0.96.1 ).

What am I missing?
Is the thick plugin mandatory for this?

Kind Regards
m.

Linux proxmoxtest1 4.4.13-2-pve #1 SMP Fri Jul 15 06:36:47 CEST 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Proxmox Virtual Environment 4.2-17/e1400248 ( Free )
Version / Package Info:
ii drbd-utils 8.9.7-1 amd64 RAID 1 over TCP/IP for Linux (user utilities)
ii drbdmanage 0.97-1 amd64 Distributed configuration management for DRBD

drbdmanage list-volumes
| vm-100-disk-1 | 0 | 4 GiB | 106 | | ok |
| vm-100-disk-2 | 0 | 2 GiB | 107 | | ok |

System proxmoxtest1 + proxmoxtest2 are in a drbdcluster. These two resources are according dir drbdadm status, clean/uptodate:

vm-100-disk-1 role:primary
disk:UpToDate
proxmoxtest2 role:Secondary
peer-disk:UpToDate

vm-100-disk-2 role:primary
disk:UpToDate
proxmoxtest2 role:Secondary
peer-disk:UpToDate

proxmox packages installed:
ii libpve-access-control 4.0-19 amd64 Proxmox VE access control library
ii libpve-common-perl 4.0-71 all Proxmox VE base library
ii libpve-storage-perl 4.0-56 all Proxmox VE storage management library
ii proxmox-ve 4.2-58 all The Proxmox Virtual Environment
ii pve-cluster 4.0-43 amd64 Cluster Infrastructure for Proxmox Virtual Environment
ii pve-container 1.0-72 all Proxmox VE Container management tool
ii pve-docs 4.2-7 all Proxmox VE Documentation
ii pve-firewall 2.0-29 amd64 Proxmox VE Firewall
ii pve-ha-manager 1.0-33 amd64 Proxmox VE HA Manager
ii pve-kernel-4.4.13-2-pve 4.4.13-58 amd64 The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
ii pve-kernel-4.4.6-1-pve 4.4.6-48 amd64 The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
ii pve-manager 4.2-17 amd64 The Proxmox Virtual Environment

you are missing nothing - resize functionality is not yet implemented in PVE's DRBD integration/plugin. newer drbdmanage versions (from this month) seem to have some fixes regarding the issues I mention above, but those were not yet tested (by me). if "drbdmanage resize" works as advertised with the new drbdmanage version, the resize functionality in our plugin will probably follow soon(ish). if not, it will stay unimplemented (a resize command that destroys the resized volumes half of the time is better left unused).

you can follow the DRBD9 User Guide and resize manually, I linked it above. your mileage may vary, and backups are a good idea before resizing volumes (on any storage technology, not just DRBD9).

Thank you for your kind reply. I really hope that the feature will come.

I tried (successfully) to enlarge the second disk in a vm with drbd9/drbdmanage.
I did a vm shutdown, drbdmanage resize volume, vm start, umount the second drive, fdisk it, e2fsck, resize2fs, mount.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!