rescue boot PVE6.0, ZFS root

Sep 19, 2012
Hi there,

as I made a config mistake my boot ends up with a kernel panic so I'd like to repair the installation (zfs-utils not running correctly so no root file system availible for booting). Thought about booting a buster-iso, chroot and try to fix it but I don't find anything about it to boot rescue mode and mounting existing zfs-pool. May you have hints or already an entry I didn't find how that works?

Thanks!

I tried to figure out and as the Buster-Live iso doesn't know very much about zfsutils from itself including the backports.

So I tried a Ubuntu 19.04 where I had the success to find my pool and can bring it online but just read-only because some requirements for read/write are missing. Would be nice to get knowledge how to do that in case of such a failure and specific: How to do from list of pools, mounting an chroot to the right device. Thanks!

Try using the PVE-iso (start the debug mode of the installer ) - the second debug shell should have all necessary utils installed in a recent version.

(just stop before the actual graphical installer)

I hope this helps!

Try using the PVE-iso (start the debug mode of the installer ) - the second debug shell should have all necessary utils installed in a recent version.

(just stop before the actual graphical installer)

I hope this helps!

Thanks Stoiko, brought me forward but now stuck in bringing up network in debug mode - i need if for fix the packages, is this possible somehow?

Thanks Stoiko, brought me forward but now stuck in bringing up network in debug mode - i need if for fix the packages, is this possible somehow?
Was very simple, just had to add
iface eno1 inet dhcp
to /etc/network/interfaces and then
ifup eno1.

Now i could
dkpg --reconfigrure -a
but booting still stuck at
Running /scripts/init-premount ... done.
Begin Mounting root file system ... /init: .: line244: can't open ´/scripts/zfs´ : No such file or directory
[ 4.316188] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000200

Any idea why it can Run the premount script but doesn't find the zfs script?

EDIT:

retried to find the error and dpkg says it cant process pve-manager and proxmox-ve because there are dependency problems because there is no systemd - of course not in the chrooted enviroment. as it says scripts get configured with pve-manager so am I stuck here now?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!