removing/cleaning the local drive

henpett

Nov 6, 2021
hi, i currently have 0 space left on my local drive, i have another called local-proxmox which is where i save all my vm's etc it has loads of space so im wondering how do i clean the local drive? as i want to be able to do things again it has basicly stopped working now becuase its "full" the wierd thing is i dont have anything on it either no iso images or anything, can i move my "local" over to my "local-proxmox"? its to the point where i cant even open the shell because i get the error "no space left on drive"
chrome_6YHWADPwG8.png
chrome_KwaZ7YWi0T.png

Last edited:
PVE shouldn't be installed on an USB stick. It easily writes 30GB per day killing simple flash storage like SD cards or usb stick without wear leveling very fast. Sooner or later it will fail because all of the writes. And you might want around 16GB for your PVE installation. But USB SSDs/HDDs would be fine. Would have been better to just use that single HDD for both your PVE OS as well as a VM storage.

Last edited:
PVE shouldn't be installed on an USB stick. It easily writes 30GB per day killing simple flash storage like SD cards or usb stick without wear leveling very fast. Sooner or later it will fail because all of the writes. And you might want around 16GB for your PVE installation. But USB SSDs/HDDs would be fine. Would have been better to just use that single HDD for both your PVE OS as well as a VM storage.
Aa ok, ill wipe the hard drive etc tomorrow and start from scratch as i have mainly been using it for testing and getting used to it thanks i am unsure however how to install it and have it as a vm storage on just one disc without it taking up the entire disc

Also due to the server beeing in my room i suspend it when not in use so that should help some of the writing to the usb stick but yeah i understand your point

PVE installation will by default setup that server to use the same drive for both. And if you want to decide yourself how much space you want for what you can click on "advanced" to setup all sizes yourself. Might might also want to ready the paragraph "Advanced LVM Configuration Options" in the wiki. So you might want to set the "maxroot" to 16 or 32GB so only 16 or 32GB will be used for the OS.

Last edited:
PVE installation will by default setup that server to use the same drive for both. And if you want to decide yourself how much space you want for what you can click on "advanced" to setup all sizes yourself. Might might also want to ready the paragraph "Advanced LVM Configuration Options" in the wiki. So you might want to set the "maxroot" to 16 or 32GB so only 16 or 32GB will be used for the OS.
Thanks ill look more into it tomorrow

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!