Removal of VM results in loss of hard disk on separate Node, FYI

11mrjones

Jan 24, 2023
Removal of VM results in loss of hard disk on separate Node, FYI

Just starting using Proxmox and noticed the following WHEN USING SHARED STORAGE:

Create vm-id=400 on host-A with virt hard, this creates hard disk file <..smb..>/../images/400/vm-400-disk-0.raw
Create vm-id=400 on host-B with virt hard, this creates hard disk file <..smb..>/../images/400/vm-400-disk-1.raw

Remove vm-id=400 on host-A through GUI More/Remove menu selection and check
box "Destroy unreferenced disks owned by guest"

Result is that both
<..smb..>/../images/400/vm-400-disk-0.raw and
<..smb..>/../images/400/vm-400-disk-1.raw are deleted.

As such, vm-id=400 on host-B is lost.

If box "Destroy unreferenced disks owned by guest" is NOT checked then host-B disk is NOT lost.

Just an FYI as this resulted in my losing a VM. Fortunately I was/am still in testing/learning phase.

Maybe everyone already knows this, in that case, ignore.

Thanks

Reactions: smithj33
If node A and node B were in a cluster, then you would not be able to create two VMs with same ID.
Since you were able to do it, it means you "shared" storage between two independent nodes and purposefully(?) caused and ID overlap. This combination is an example of "shooting oneself in the foot".
There was even a "bumper" in place of not destroying unreferenced disks, you clicked it. The end result is very much expected with all of the above steps.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Neobin
Afaict, all obvious and as expected with multiple separate nodes and using the same shared storage endpoint. They simply do not know of each other.

In a cluster, you are not be able to use the same VMID more than once...

Yes this was purposeful, just exercising the infrastructure with test VM's so I can understand how it works under the hood so that hopefully I don't shoot myself in the foot. But I will probably fall for something more subtle down the road as I get up to speed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!