Remote ssh in kvm guest?

rokrep69

Sep 12, 2012
I'm trying to ssh remotely (putty) into a debian guest I have created on Proxmox 2.1. I can get into the proxmox shell easy enough, but what has to be done to access the guest?

2 hours of searching has not been fruitful...

I have a bridge set up for vmbr0. The bridge IP is 192.168.225.19 and is mapped to an external IP. The guest has an IP 192.168.224.228 and has internet access...

Excuse my ignorance, I am still learning routing and such.

So how can a vm allow ssh access?

Thanks,

Dan

you need to install ssh server inside your Guest.

Code:
apt-get update && apt-get install ssh

I'm trying to ssh remotely (putty) into a debian guest I have created on Proxmox 2.1. I can get into the proxmox shell easy enough, but what has to be done to access the guest?

2 hours of searching has not been fruitful...

I have a bridge set up for vmbr0. The bridge IP is 192.168.225.19 and is mapped to an external IP. The guest has an IP 192.168.224.228 and has internet access...

Excuse my ignorance, I am still learning routing and such.

So how can a vm allow ssh access?

Thanks,

Dan
Hi,
do you use one NIC and one bridge (vmbr0)?
Because, if your network an normal /24 than you use different networks on one bridge... (192.168.225 + 224).
the clean way is to use different bridges for different networks (with differen nics, or vlan-tagging).

Of course you need also an router between the networks.

Udo

Hello Udo,

I installed the server at a friends ISP company tonight. He has several cisco routers and a very complex network.
When I installed proxmox, I selected a bridge, and as it sits now, have one nic plugged in. Sounds like the 2 networks 225 and 224 might be an issue.

Would NAT be a better option for this setup? I'll have the friend change the network around if need be. He is quite interested in Proxmox and this is test to see if we can get multiple VM's running and configured. I'll see if he can read this thread and figure it out as well. I'm open to any suggestions.

Confused as usual :)

Dan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!