Remote Access to VMs

Racortesl

Dec 30, 2022
Hi guys, I have a problem not directly related with Proxmox VE and I don't know how to start looking for a solution.

I have a Proxmox VE installed in the office running several VMs (Linux and Windows guests OS), and I need remote access to the windows desktops. First I started configuring Anydesk in every VM, but without a license, I have to wait 100s between every connection. Then I tried the SPICE console embebed in Proxmox, which would worked perfectly because I created restricted users in Proxmox and they could manage the VM without have to reach for me (happened when we used Anydesk and the VM was powered off), but since we use Windows machines, the SPICE virt-viewer doesn't support shared folder to the VM. Then I only can send files to the VM, but I can't send back from the VM. I though on RDP, but I don't want to create NAT rules for every VM in the firewall (because we access to the VMs from inside and outside the office).

The only solution I have for the moment, is Proxmox users to manage the VM, and RDP access via VPN, which could be a little tedious for the average user, but also I would like to have a general view of all the available VMs and a easy access to it. Is there any solution I could try?

Thanks

Last edited:
but since we use Windows machines, the SPICE virt-viewer doesn't support shared folder to the VM.
Really? I was under the impression that it works, in Linux as well as in Windows. Haven't used it for years, so I maybe remember it wrong.

The only solution I have for the moment, is Proxmox users to manage the VM, and RDP access via VPN, which could be a little tedious for the average user, but also I would like to have a general view of all the available VMs and a easy access to it. Is there any solution I could try?
tedious? We've been using VPN for 3 decades and it is the default go-to in every work or private environment I ever worked in.

From a security standpoint, you actually do really not want to have shared files. It's a big security risk and default point of entry for all viruses. Work product has to stay on your work computer and under no circumstances jump over to home machines.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!