Remote access to Linux VM

Bert-Jan

Aug 4, 2021
I've installed Proxmox VE 7 on an old PC as a hobby project, not proficient at all, just playing around. Installing VM's is a breeze, but as I travel a fair bit, I would like to be able to get access to one of the VM 's (Pop!_OS, runs really well) when I'm not at home. I searched around but all I could find as answers on similar questions are about getting internet access for a VM (which mine has). I know I could remotely login to Prroxmox first, then open the VM. That works, but I'd like to directly access the VM. Also, I'd like to use Spice if possible, wich I cannot get to work after a remote login to Proxmox.

If I overlooked somthing obvious, and there is any documentation or forum post with clear explanations, please forgive my n00bness.

the built-in access to the console (spice/novnc/xtermjs) requires a login into the PVE GUI first. to access that from somewhere else you could either expose the necessary ports via port forwarding / NAT (likely on your home connection's router), or setup some sort of VPN to make your remote device part of your home network. I'd prefer the latter solution, but it's a bit more work to set up.

That was quick! Thanks for the response. I am currently using the first route you suggested. As I'm probably not up to setting up a VPN connection yet, I'll stick with that for now.
But in using that first route I cannot use Spice, it complains about not finding the graphic server. NoVNC works fine, but is there anything I'm overlooking to get Spice to work?
I'm using the remote viewer on Windows 10.

the spice config file generated probably references the local IP or hostname - you can check by opening the file in a text editor, the proxy line is what's relevant for the connection.

I didn 't even know that the config file was in plain text. As it turned out the IP addres in de file was correct, but I forgot to open a port for Spice on the router :-\ .. I'll learn. Works fine now!
It's a shame I cannot just download a config file and then start the VM by doubleclicking it, since that would solve my first issue, but this works well enough.
Thanks again for the help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!