[SOLVED] Recovery image/Live CD?

stefws

Jan 29, 2015
Denmark
siimnet.dk
Just lost one of my pve4.1 HP DL360 G9 hypervisor nodes as it got shot by HP' ASR/NMI during apt-get dist-upgrade when installing a new kernel/running grub (which takes too long most properly due to tasting all our iSCSI devices). Booting it now just makes the kernel crash.
This is so annoying, I've now turned off ASR in all my hypervisors BIOSs to avoid this happing again. We primarily utilize HA to separate certain VMs from every run on the same hypervisors, so f.ex. to SW clustered VMs never get hit by the same hypervisor failure/crash.

Anyway what would be a good live CD image to boot, so one could mount/fix the LVM fs of the node?

Proxmox VE ISO (debug mode)?

Depends on what exactly got interrupted resp. what the exact error is, but I would wager that any Debian Jessie+ based Live system should work as well..

Booted install iso and switch to tty1 w/Ctrl-Alt-F1 and to a prompt w/Ctrl-C and find my logical volume but no device nodes for them, so impossible to mount them :( see attach image n3_lvs.jpg, n3_bootfailure.jpg shows the failure to mount boot after getting a NMI during grub install of a new kernel.

Why doesn't Debian/PVE keep at least one former kernel around when patching a new kernel like eg. Fedora/CentOS/RHEL in case booting the new kernel fails?

Will try to find a live image either uBuntu or +Jessie...

Attachments

• n3_lvs.jpg
    n3_lvs.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 164
  • n3_bootfailure.jpg
    n3_bootfailure.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 154
your screenshot shows the LVM volumes, you just have to activate them (check LVM docs).

Improving, but not quite there yet. I boot from VE iso, break to a prompt, config simple network to get access to the world and then do this:

Code:
$ vgchange -a y pve
$ mkdir /tmp/a; mount /dev/pve/root /tmp/a
$ mount -o bind /sys /tmp/a/sys; mount -o bind /dev /tmp/a/dev; mount -o bind /proc /tmp/a/proc
$ chroot /tmp /bin/sh -c 'apt-get update; apt-get -y dist-upgrade'

but it fails with complains about:

E: Can not write log (Is /dev/pts mounted?) - posix_openpt (2: No such file or directory)

which is true, /dev doesn't hold any pts nodes. After this I still can't boot PVE, I end up in an initramfs prompt and exiting from this a kernel trace, see attached images.

Any hints on howto recover image without reinstalling?

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 49
1. you mount /dev/pve/root to /tmp/a and bind mount stuff there, but then you chroot to /tmp ?
2. try chrooting to /tmp/a, and then execute the commands individually:
$ chroot /tmp/a
# apt-get -y update
# apt-get -y dist-upgrade
3. try adding -y to apt-get update as well

You could try running "update-initramfs -u" and "update-grub2" and/or reinstalling the kernel package with apt-get in the chroot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!