[SOLVED] Recover data Debian Machine not booting

simoberny

Jan 25, 2019
Hi, today i was working on a VM based on debian and i installed systemd as a sostitute of sysvinit. Rebooting the machine result in the VM not booting with error "TASK ERROR: command 'systemctl start pve-container@1113' failed: exit code 1".

Unfortunately the machine (for a strange reason) had not backup and snapshot configured.
Since in the machine there was some important file, there is a way to recover it somehow?
There is no something like grub to send command or the possibility to read the vm disk from another vm linux machine?

Thanks in advance

Hi, today i was working on a VM based on debian and i installed systemd as a sostitute of sysvinit. Rebooting the machine result in the VM not booting with error "TASK ERROR: command 'systemctl start pve-container@1113' failed: exit code 1".

Is this a VM or a Container? Looking at the error message you sent, it looks like a container to me.

If you only need a file from inside the container, you can try running:
Code:
pct mount CTID
where CTID is the ID of the Container (should be 1113 in your case).

This will mount the rootfs of the container and tell you where it's mounted. From there, you can simply cd inside and copy whatever files you need.

Reactions: simoberny
depending on the debian version it might be incompatible to run systemd inside a container - e.g. Debian Jessie+unprivileged containers - AFAIR.

Regarding the data-recovery:
You can try to simply mount the container - and check the contents - `pct mount 1113` - check out the `pct` manpage

If you want to check out the error - start the container in foreground and gather some debugging logs: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pct.html#_obtaining_debugging_logs

hope this helps

Reactions: simoberny
Is this a VM or a Container? Looking at the error message you sent, it looks like a container to me.

If you only need a file from inside the container, you can try running:
Code:
pct mount CTID
where CTID is the ID of the Container (should be 1113 in your case).

This will mount the rootfs of the container and tell you where it's mounted. From there, you can simply cd inside and copy whatever files you need.

Yeah sorry, i meant a container.

And yes with your suggestion, mounting the container, i'm able to recover everything. Amazing! This is exactly what i needed
Thanks a lot for the help

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!