Recommended Install

GarthK

Feb 7, 2009
I've used almost every version of PVE since 1.1 but end up tearing down and reinstalling, usually Ubuntu server and VMWare, thru no fault of PVE. I've decided to quit rebuilding frequently and just leave the box running and I much prefer PVE. Prob is, there are quite a few different versions of PVE out there and I'm undecided which one I should install. I use KVM a lot but may use a container or two to run Linux servers as Postfix gateways or Glassfish servers. There is also an older box running 1.3 that I would like to temporarily cluster so I could move a couple of KVM VMs so the new install must be able to cluster with that box.

So, which version do I want to install? 1.4 18? 1.4 24? 1.4 32 and forget OpenVZ? 1.5?

Advice welcome.

Thanx,
Garth

1.5 is recommended, seem like latest stable release
1.4 32 if you'll be using only KVMs and would like KSM feature

In general use one that works best with your hardware.

1.5 is recommended, seem like latest stable release
1.4 32 if you'll be using only KVMs and would like KSM feature

In general use one that works best with your hardware.

Use 1.5 with Kernel 2.6.18 (we already published a ISO), currently marked as release candidate here.

2.6.32 has no container support yet and therefore only for KVM.

I'll take your advice. 1.5 it is.

Thanx,
Garth

Up to now, I have only used KVM and it still does everything I need. Including KSM would only seem to make it better. Is the 2.6.32 version a test version or is it considered stable?

Thanx,
Garth

Last edited:
I'll take your advice. 1.5 it is.

Thanx,
Garth

Up to now, I have only used KVM and it still does everything I need. Including KSM would only seem to make it better. Is the 2.6.32 version a test version or is it considered stable?

Thanx,
Garth

the 2.6.32 is not heavily used outside yet but our internal test looks promising - you can easily move between 2.6.18 to 2.6.32.

Do I need to use the latest KVM Drivers disk with 1.5 or is it already included? Is virtio still a good choice for the network?

Thanx,
Garth

Do I need to use the latest KVM Drivers disk with 1.5 or is it already included? Is virtio still a good choice for the network?

Thanx,
Garth

what guest OS do you run? (KVM)

There will be at least one Windows Server 2003 and one Windows XP. The rest will be Linux servers, typically Debian or a derivative distro like Ubuntu.

Thanx,
Garth

There will be at least one Windows Server 2003 and one Windows XP. The rest will be Linux servers, typically Debian or a derivative distro like Ubuntu.

Thanx,
Garth

windows: using IDE for disks and e1000 for network (use the latest intel drivers) is worry free. using virtio is also possible but not always without problems.

linux: you can use virtio (drivers are already in modern kernels by default), but also ide and e1000 drivers are very reliable.

Hi tom,
I just installed 1.5 and works great. Could you please point me to some documentation on how to easely migrate from 2.6.18 to 2.6.32? I couldn't find anything related, and also couldn't find howt to select kernel version from the installer.
Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!