Recommendations: Raid Cards HBA's and Networking

elahria

Jan 24, 2022
This has probably been gone over one million times already but time for another round. I did a quick search for the title but didn't find anything that makes much sense for my application in the first 5 threads.

I currently have two HP DL380 G7 machines with X5675's 128Gb Ram and consumer drive configurations. I am looking to replace an aged HP P822 raid card in my host as while it's still probably a great card the lack of response from it while in HBA mode makes the server basically an expensive paperweight.

My host storage is configured like so. HP P822 Runs two drive cages with 4x 1TB 860Evo 3x 4TB 850QVO on internal ports, External ports have a single DS4246 with 10 2TB 7200Rpm and 4 8Tb Ironwolf Pro disks. HP P420 Runs 8 250GB SSD's for vm's.

The HP P420 works okay but I would like to switch too an inexpensive 16I-8E PCI 3.0 HBA and get rid of another possible issue and maybe have a spare for my replication server. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I ended up going with a HP h220 and Flashed it to a 9207-8e. It actually runs really well. All SMART data shows up and it passes enough data through for multi pathing.

I picked up a single hp h240 and it seems to work. No SMART data shows up so there are probably some extra steps that need to be taken with it even though it's an HBA in IT mode.

Next is figuring out the networking for me. I have a 10Gb/s network switch on the way hopefully it will pickup the speed for my ceph cluster. It's currently pushing 50MB/s write and 50MB/s read symmetrical continually or 50MB/s read if nothing is writing on my slowest 8TB HDD but I would like to get it up to 100MB/s read at least. I have not setup Tiering yet but I have been reading up on it for a while now so I will probably try it out in a few days.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!