Recommendations for WinSrv 2008 R2 migration

dtiKev

Apr 7, 2018
I've read several threads about different problems with Windows server migrations and am hoping to get pointers here. I'm pretty sure my problems are directly related to hard drive choices as I'm getting the bluescreen STOP 0X0000007B error mentioned in these forums as well as Microsoft Technet.

The ESXi Vm that I'm trying to come from has the LSI "lsisas1068" as it's controller and 4 SCSI drives to handle spreading the load of a MSSQL database:

scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
scsi0:0.fileName = "dtSQL_6.vmdk"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:1.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
scsi0:1.fileName = "dtSQL_7.vmdk"
scsi0:1.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:2.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
scsi0:2.fileName = "dtSQL_8.vmdk"
scsi0:2.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:3.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
scsi0:3.fileName = "dtSQL_9.vmdk"
scsi0:3.present = "TRUE"

On a pve 5.1 install what are my best options for hard drive selection? Is something equivalent to the LSI controller automatically handled when I choose SCSI drives under the auspices of VirtIO? If not is there a better way to move the VM than using CloneZilla on the ESXi server then on the pve server?

Thanks,
dK

I did use mergide and verified all of the files were present in the drivers directory... I followed those proceedures for the XP machines too and as stated they did okay upon move. Can you explain what you mean with the "start with ide and switch one hdd to virtio/scsi?? (with scsicontroller virtio - per) - install driver and then you can switch the other disks too." part?

Do you mean switch to IDE in esxi or once I get to the pve stage? That is new to me as I haven't seen anything like that in my searches to I'm unclear on it.

Thanks for the response!

Are you talking about this stuff from the wiki on migration:

Adapt the new KVM Virtual Machine
  • Go to the hardware tab on the web interface and remove the default harddisk file
  • Add the migrated harddisk as IDE for windows (only IDE works for windows) or SCSI for Linux
  • 2012-09-24: virtio now also works for windows, but it can not boot from it the first time. So boot as IDE, then shutdown, add or change a 2. harddisk as virtio, then boot up. Then shut down. Then change the ide0 to virtio0, I do that using vi in the console. Then you can boot up windows again, and it will change to the virtio driver, and say that the driver is from RedHat.
  • Start the new Virtual Machine via the management interface
  • First boot takes some time as some drives has to be loaded
  • Do not forget to install Paravirtualized_Network_Drivers_for_Windows
  • Finished!
If so I'm guessing that means the boot disk (of the four) that I move over even though they're all SCSI at the esxi server. Well my first attempt I did move them all over and clonezilla restored to 4 IDE disks. That's what brought me to make this thread. I get the STOP error in this case. So next I detached all four drives and reattached them in proper order as SCSI. Looking for what to do next.

Are you talking about this stuff from the wiki on migration:

Adapt the new KVM Virtual Machine
  • Go to the hardware tab on the web interface and remove the default harddisk file
  • Add the migrated harddisk as IDE for windows (only IDE works for windows) or SCSI for Linux
  • 2012-09-24: virtio now also works for windows, but it can not boot from it the first time. So boot as IDE, then shutdown, add or change a 2. harddisk as virtio, then boot up. Then shut down. Then change the ide0 to virtio0, I do that using vi in the console. Then you can boot up windows again, and it will change to the virtio driver, and say that the driver is from RedHat.
  • Start the new Virtual Machine via the management interface
  • First boot takes some time as some drives has to be loaded
  • Do not forget to install Paravirtualized_Network_Drivers_for_Windows
  • Finished!
If so I'm guessing that means the boot disk (of the four) that I move over even though they're all SCSI at the esxi server. Well my first attempt I did move them all over and clonezilla restored to 4 IDE disks. That's what brought me to make this thread. I get the STOP error in this case. So next I detached all four drives and reattached them in proper order as SCSI. Looking for what to do next.
Hi,
yes this I mean. The ?? after scsi mean, that I don't know if win2008 support virtio-scsi - if not use virtio (is para virtual ide - e.g. ide on extacy).
scsi has better support (like trim), but I'm not sure about win2008...

Udo

The problem with these suggestions as far as I can see is that the virtio stuff would come after I get it running. My problem is I'm blusescreening while trying to boot.

Can I somehow use Windows recovery to get it going perhaps?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!