Recfreating ceph, cannot create OSD

OrdinarySteve

Jul 16, 2020
Hello!

I've been playing with ceph and after initially getting it working, I realised I had everything on the wrong network. So I deleted and removed everything, uninstalled and reinstalled ceph and began recreating the cluster using the correct network. I had to destroy / zap some drives on two servers and mostly, I've got things working again. However, when I try to create a new OSD on one of the servers, I get

unable to open file '/var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring.tmp.1694' - No such file or directory (500)

I have two out of three OSDs installed, I just cannot figure out how to proceed with this final server. Is this a leftover from the previous installation, or did someting not get installed properly when I tried to re-create everything?

Hi!

For the next time you want to change the network: that really does not need a full reinstallation. You can simply edit the cluster_network and public_network keys in /etc/pve/ceph.conf. If you only change the private_network it's normally enough to restart just all OSD once, if you change public or both networks also restart all monitors and other ceph daemons (or do a brute full cluster reboot if it's not yet a live production system).

unable to open file '/var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring.tmp.1694' - No such file or directory (500)

Sounds like the bootstrap directories are gone, does /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ exists? If not use mkdir to create it and retry adding the OSD.

Reactions: herzkerl and vega
thank you for your help! I'm about to walk away from the PC for a while but I'll give this a try tonight and see how it goes.

Hi!

For the next time you want to change the network: that really does not need a full reinstallation. You can simply edit the cluster_network and public_network keys in /etc/pve/ceph.conf. If you only change the private_network it's normally enough to restart just all OSD once, if you change public or both networks also restart all monitors and other ceph daemons (or do a brute full cluster reboot if it's not yet a live production system).

Sounds like the bootstrap directories are gone, does /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ exists? If not use mkdir to create it and retry adding the OSD.
This exactly solved my problem. Not sure why it gets created on some servers but not others

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!