rclone - additional storage

LolekUK

Dec 11, 2019
Hi,

Has anyone tried to do something like this? would that work?

* mount google drive (rclone) to pve
* add it to host's storage with 'Disk image' option,
* add encrypted disk image to pve
* mount encrypted image to a virtual machine/container

Basically, in container to be seen as normal mounted drive, but in reality it would be stored in the cloud (in encrypted drive file).

Thought I will ask before I mess up my home lab.

you won't mess up your home lab, but you will definitely not get any kind of sensible performance out of that.

Thanks Fabian,

Not worried about the performance, just need over 0.5MB/s stable transfer occasionally. Would that be achievable?

Karol

Thanks Fabian,

Not worried about the performance, just need over 0.5MB/s stable transfer occasionally. Would that be achievable?

Karol

I don't know how rclone implements the transfer of big files, you'd have to try yourself. my expectations would be pretty low ;)

rclone and configuration pretty smooth :) I can see it in PVE and added it to datacenter, I can create files and folder from the host, but when I try to create raw file, I get the following error:
root@pve:~# pvesm alloc gdrive 101 vm-101-disk10.raw 1000G Formatting '/mnt/pve/gdrive/images/101/vm-101-disk10.raw', fmt=raw size=1073741824000 unable to create image: qemu-img: /mnt/pve/gdrive/images/101/vm-101-disk10.raw: Could not resize file: Operation not permitted

Am I doing something wrong or is Google drive blocking something?

Thanks

With rclone cache set to full I could create the virtual disk but, as it was set to to full cache. It was trying to recreate the whole 10TB dynamic drive on my local system drive (I think) which filled up my system drive very quickly (60GB system partition, 56GB was free before I mounted gdrive and created dynamic disk).

Ideally I would like to work on live dynamic virtual drive in the cloud.

Now I'm not sure where the cache is stored, rebooting the system didn't work. Low on space so can't run certain commands (or mount the drive with rclone again if needed to delete cache?). Tried some commands re clearing cache but either not worked or I didn't type them properly (or needed the mount connected?).

Thanks

Karol

Hi,

Just thought I'll mention here if someone else was looking to have similar setup.

I now have rclone configured on pve host with 'encrypt' built in rclone functionality.
Just looking at 'Bind Mount Point' to pass the folder from host onto my privileged container.

In which case, I should have encrypted data on google drive that's accessible from a container.

Thanks

Karol

All looking well, bind mount point worked straight away with no fuss although I have only access to that mounted folder once logged on as root to container. Can't access it as normal container user. Container is privileged.

Changed permissions on the host to that folder (chmod -R 777 /mnt/pve/gdrive) but still cannot see it when logged as standard user.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

p.s. checked user's uid/gid/groups, both matching on the host and container.

all good,

had to use '--allow-other' with rclone command. Now all service accounts (apps) have access to the bind mount google drive folder.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!