RAM reporting by Proxmox interface is incorrect

balter

Sep 12, 2019
Hi All,

I have 3 Ubuntu Server 18.04.3LTS virtual machines running in Proxmox 6.0-4. Everything runs perfectly however the RAM usage that is reported by each individual VM appears incorrect when compared to the htop output from within the VM... This is the case for all VMs, however the Proxmox node reports the same RAM usage in the dashboard as it does in htop. This is the only one that seems correct.

When setting up the VMs, I set the Memory and Minimum memory to the same value with ballooning device checked.

I have attached screenshots comparing the Proxmox dashboard with the htop output.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• proxmox.png
    proxmox.png
    563.5 KB · Views: 35
  • ha-proxy-vm.png
    ha-proxy-vm.png
    470 KB · Views: 33
  • hassio-vm.png
    hassio-vm.png
    464.2 KB · Views: 24
  • plex-vm.png
    plex-vm.png
    549.1 KB · Views: 28
from the outside (hypervisor view), used memory is used memory no matter for what it is used. from the inside (guest view), some usage types such as caches might not be counted as really used, even though they currently take up memory (e.g., for linux check https://www.linuxatemyram.com/ for a detailed explanation).

Thanks Fabian, that makes sense but you’ll notice there is several GB difference. Could that really be used by cache? I’m certainly no pro when it comes to Linux, but that seems excessive...

Tim

Thanks Fabian, that makes sense but you’ll notice there is several GB difference. Could that really be used by cache? I’m certainly no pro when it comes to Linux, but that seems excessive...

Tim

yes. Linux will use memory that would otherwise be unused for caching since it increases performance "for free" ;)

You have windows to blame for that. On windows, free memory includes caches. On Linux however, caches are explicitly not free and separately accounted for.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!