Questions

falves1

Jan 11, 2009
a) I need to assign a physical network interface to a container, with type=phys, how do I enable this?
I did it manually and it works but the config file gets regenerated after restarting the container.
Is there a way to avoid this?
I added
lxc.net.0.type = phys
lxc.net.0.name = eth0
lxc.net.0.link = eth2
lxc.net.0.flags = up
lxc.net.0.ipv4.address = 0.0.0.0/24
if I make the config file immutable, then the container fails to start.
<root@pam> end task UPID:pve1:00015B9C:0023DFD8:61761E8C:vzstart:101:root@pam: close (rename) atomic file '/var/lib/lxc/101/config' failed: Operation not permitted

b) I want to store my containers in plain dir:/var/lib/lxc/XX/rootfs, is this possible?

c) how can I convert an existing LXC container (dir:/var/lib/lxc/xxxxx) to proxmox?

Last edited:
I read the link but I cannot figure out how to permanently enable network type="macvlan" and "phys". Proxmox should support these networks in the GUI, not as a hack. There are good reasons to expand network support: the developers just said, last week, that macvlan is faster then veth. In the case of Phys, there are some cases where the mac address assigned to the box is one and is fixed, so with type=Phys, you can have multiple IPs behind a single mac address, using "ipvlan" technology.

I created a container, Ubuntu 20.04, and it finishes fine, but it never starts, it stays forever in the picture below.
This is a new machine and this is its first container
Where do I go from here? The Start button fails and the consoles don't work. Proxmox thinks is not started, but it's actually running. But a consequence of this problem is that the container is not accessible via the console. The Start button is always available, but if you click it says "container already running".

1636519203085.png

Last edited:
I still don't know how to proceed. This is a container with a new OS, Ubuntu 20.04, how do I make it work "normally"?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!