[Question]Setting up each guest user with multiple VM options

phonox

May 4, 2022
Hello,

I am planning to setup a private server cluster (for the first time) for my home computing purpose as we are heavy workstation users because having a single machine to maintain seemed less troublesome than managing multiple high-end desktop computers.

Sorry for my ignorance if below settings don't make sense, as I am not an IT expert, nor an experienced server builder, please educate me with your advanced knowledge on configuring guest VMs...

My initial configuration attempt:

Would it be possible to setup GPU passthrough for each guest user (possibly 3 users) instead of assigning to a VM?
What I want to achieve is to have multiple OS available for each guest user. For example, Users A,B,C can choose to boot among Linux/Win10 while retaining the assigned GPU.

If I were to take a brute force attempt, then I would generate 6 VMs and assign 2 VMs for each guest user.
Does this mean I also have to split all computing resources (i.e. CPU core, memory and GPU memory) into 6? Or can I get by with just splitting into 3 (for 3 users) and hope that we would always only use 3 VMs simultaneously? I'm just worried that we might accidentally start-up 4 or more VMs at once and somehow cause boot failures or BSOD of some kind due to resource overuse and lose other person's work (...sorry for my ignorance here)..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!