Question: Does Proxmox overwrite backups from other servers?

nandos

Feb 29, 2016
I have two Proxmox servers (not in HA) at home, and I'm considering starting to automate backups.
To move virtual machines between the two I've mounted a file server the same way (same path) on both of my Proxmox servers, but before I enable automatic backups I feel I should make sure that backups won't overwrite each other.

Example:
If I enable automatic backups of vm103 on both servers (and vm103 on server1 is very different from vm103 on server2), will they overwrite each other or will they recognize the other vm103 as different from their own vm103.

I suggest that you never use the same storage for different Proxmox clusters/servers. They are not aware of each other, so one would simply overwrite the other backup if you use the same VM IDs.

There is no such problem if you create a cluster.

Reactions: nandos
Thanks! I've removed the storage paths and created new ones that are separate so they don't screw with each other.

I read in some book some time ago that you shouldn't create a cluster with only two servers, and seeing how my two servers aren't fully 100% identical (one has twice the amount of RAM that the first one does) I figured I should just keep them separate and manage them manually. It's not a production environment, so if one fails, I can always restore from my manual backups.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!