qdisk support in Proxmox 4.0

pietrek

May 31, 2013
Hi,Are there any plans to add qdisk support for two-node HA in future Proxmox 4.0 builds?We're running a three servers setup where one of them acts as an NFS storage and /qdisk member and we'd love to stick with this easy-to-maintain setup.

Hi,
there are no qdisk at corosync 2.x anymore.

Too bad. Being able to run a HA cluster in such configuration was a great feature. Does it mean that Proxmox will require at least three servers + shared storage to run in high avaibility setup from now on?

HA is always tree nodes and shared or distributed storage is a must.

pietrek: I'm with you.
For me it's disappointing too that two node-ha-cluster aren't possible any more.
I know that proxmox always recommended at least three servers for ha but as you an I know there where many of two-node-ha's outside...
ofcourse built up with drbd and working fencing-devices, but only with TWO servers, Wolfgang.

So, we're working on a solution or at least a workaround for it but it would be great to get something native from proxmox.

Don't know if it works, but what about a cheap 3° node? Like a cheap Mitac Pluto E220, has 2GB nics, comes with no ram and storage, has 8GB max ram (you can add 4GB), an small HDD or SSD, install Proxmox and make it act as 3° node. Then you configure drbd9 on the main 2 servers only, or ceph with storage in the first two servers and only ceph monitor in the Pluto. In HA you make sure it's never used for moving the VM. Don't know if it works this way, probably yes, I would be interested also (just curiosity, HA is against my sense of personal safety at the moment, I would love just 2 node cluster and be able to resurrect the vm on the survived node from GUI without shell intervention ;)).

In another thread it was asked if the third node could be something inexpensive like a Raspberry Pi. I personally think that would be a great solution, but I don't know how to build such packages from the proxmox sources or if it is even possible. Does it need much more than corosync and pvecm?

I went searching for a reasonable device to use, and I came across this one: http://store.netgate.com/ADI/RCC-DFF-2220.aspx which is basically a 2-core ATOM processor with 2GB of RAM in a tiny little box, with a 4GB flash disk on board. It is known to be able run debian 8. Is that sufficient for running proxmox as just a quorum node?

I also looked at the Intel NUCs but by the time you get a barebones and add RAM and disk, it gets to be pretty expensive.

I went searching for a reasonable device to use, and I came across this one: http://store.netgate.com/ADI/RCC-DFF-2220.aspx which is basically a 2-core ATOM processor with 2GB of RAM in a tiny little box, with a 4GB flash disk on board. It is known to be able run debian 8. Is that sufficient for running proxmox as just a quorum node?

Hi,
the cpu support 64bit... so it's can work...

Udo

I tested with a NUC and it would work (don't forget to force the resources to stay off of the NUC ;-)) but, call me antiquated, I want it like in the good old days.

Last edited:
Can you tell me how to force the resources to stay off of the NUC? Tips? Where do I have to look at? I'm thinking about a ceph and a drbd solution (since storage radundancy is needed).
Thanks

You can make groups where you define the migration behavior.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

There are other solutions that while not as felxible as Proxmox (I admit) are still able to run a two-node cluster. You could even get a two-node-no-external-storage with XenServer and some 3rd party additions and that's a scenario we're currently considering as our just in case Proxmox replacement.Anyway, I hope that Proxmox devs will come up with some viable solution to get qdisk back some day.

But Xen is never an alternative ;) Proxmox is a great solution (in my opinion even the best right now at least for our requirements) and I'm not willing to change the system nor the hypervisor.
So hoping for the guys of corosync or the great idea over night :D (or the mighty panacea)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!