QCOW2 to Proxmox

bingram6

Oct 22, 2020
I am a total noob and currently we have a Scale Environment. Long story short I would like to use ProxMox instead of spending thousands of dollars. When I export the VM image from scale the extension is QCOW2. My question here is how do import this image into ProxMox and be up and running. What steps do I need to take. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
create your VM with a small disk in the GUI (or without a disk with the API/qm create), then use 'qm importdisk' to copy the disk to your desired storage and add it to your VM config.

Reactions: bingram6
VM has been created... that's where I am :)
1 - Create a VM from Gui
2 - In text mode (SSH or Console of Proxmox) run the following command
qm importdisk VMID (100 for example) disk.qcow2 local-lvm (The qcow2 disk has to be INSIDE the Proxmox, either in local storage, a mounted external hard drive, shared storage, etc.)
3 - After importing the disk, access the created VM and there will be an unused disk, double click on it and mount it as SATA (if you have not installed the SCSI driver in the Windows installation process) or SCSI (if it is Linux or Windows with the driver installed), check the discard option and be happy.

1 - Create a VM from Gui
2 - In text mode (SSH or Console of Proxmox) run the following command
qm importdisk VMID (100 for example) disk.qcow2 local-lvm (The qcow2 disk has to be INSIDE the Proxmox, either in local storage, a mounted external hard drive, shared storage, etc.)
3 - After importing the disk, access the created VM and there will be an unused disk, double click on it and mount it as SATA (if you have not installed the SCSI driver in the Windows installation process) or SCSI (if it is Linux or Windows with the driver installed), check the discard option and be happy.
Can I use next available ID in my proxmox to import the qcow2 disk?
And where should I copy the qcow2 disk on proxmox server? Is it ok to copy it under /var/lib/vz/images? The server don't have any SAN/NAS mountings.
The qcow2 disk have the Linux OS + data in it. So I need to use this qcow2 as a bootable disk in proxmox.

Thanks & Regards,
Amey.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!