pveproxy - Disable weak SSL ciphers?

dgp

Jul 25, 2013
Hi all,

Is there any way to customize the list of SSL ciphers or key sizes used in pveproxy? We run some automated tests on our network and Proxmox 2 was fine hiding behind Apache but pveproxy has some 56bit ciphers enabled (EDH-RSA-DES-CBC-SHA, DES-CBC-SHA).

I checked the man page for pveproxy and it doesn't mention anything relevant.

Thank you

Dietmar,

Thanks implementing this update. I do have two issues issue and I have some related requests.

1) When I limit to the following ciphers, I get the following errors in syslog.

Sep 30 10:45:59 <name removed> pveproxy[443957]: problem with client <ip removed>; ssl3_read_bytes: ssl handshake failure
Sep 30 10:45:59 <name removed> pveproxy[443957]: WARNING: Can't call method "timeout_reset" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/HTTPServer.pm line 170.

ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384
ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA384
ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA
ECDHE-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA
ECDHE-ECDSA-DES-CBC3-SHA
ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256
ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA256
ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA
ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA
DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA256
DHE-DSS-AES256-SHA256
DHE-DSS-AES256-GCM-SHA384
DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
DHE-DSS-AES256-SHA
EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA
EDH-DSS-DES-CBC3-SHA
DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256
DHE-DSS-AES128-SHA256
DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
DHE-DSS-AES128-GCM-SHA256
DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA
DHE-DSS-AES128-SHA

2) If you create the /etc/default/pveproxy file, you have to specify POLICY="<some option>". This was not documented anywhere I could find.

3) I see that you have manually disabled SSL Compression in the latest update. This is not an issue with TLS1.1, TLS1.2 and some forms of TSL1.0, so you may want to make it an option in the the /etc/default/pveproxy file with the default as off. Also, I would like to have the following SSL options. These are from apache, so I am not sure how they translate to the web server you are using now.

SSLHonorCipherOrder [ on ]
SSLProtocol [ all SSLv3 TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2 and in the future TLSv1.3 ]
SSLInsecureRenegotiation [ on off ]
SSLCryptoDevice [ Options can be found via openssl engine ]

4) Consider moving the CA certificate file to the local server along with the key and certificate files in case people have servers that use different CA certificates.

5) One more thing... In an archive thread, link is below, you were talking about adding some options to /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg for cipher control of migrations. Were these options ever added?

http://forum.proxmox.com/archive/index.php/t-7539.html

Last edited:

Please can you post your config?

2) If you create the /etc/default/pveproxy file, you have to specify POLICY="<some option>".

Why is that needed (should work without)?

3) I see that you have manually disabled SSL Compression in the latest update. This is not an issue with TLS1.1, TLS1.2 and some forms of TSL1.0, so you may want to make it an option in the the /etc/default/pveproxy file with the default as off.

This is totally unnecessary, because we compress at application level.

Also, I would like to have the following SSL options. These are from apache, so I am not sure how they translate to the web server you are using now.

feel free to send patches for that.

4) Consider moving the CA certificate file to the local server along with the key and certificate files in case people have servers that use different CA certificates.

The idea is to have one single CA for the whole cluster.

5) One more thing... In an archive thread, link is below, you were talking about adding some options to /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg for cipher control of migrations. Were these options ever added?

You can set ciphers in /root/.ssh/config

I tested this with the latest version, and I do not get those warnings. I assume this is already fixed by a recent patch sent by Stefan.

Dietmar,

Thanks for the response.

3) Also, I would like to have the following SSL options. These are from apache, so I am not sure how they translate to the web server you are using now.

feel free to send patches for that.

I probably could, but I need to know a bit more about the web server you are using. Is it apache or something else and can you point me to a location in the code where the config file for the web server is created?

The idea is to have one single CA for the whole cluster.

How will this work if I servers with certificates with different intermediate CAs, but the same root CA or different root and intermediate CAs? I do not believe that one file will handle this. A suggestion would be to have a cert manager where all the information for all certificates is stored in the clusterfs and then a server config that can select on of the certificates in the clusterfs which if needed would cause the key, cert and all needed CAs to be populated in the specific servers directory within the clusterfs.

Thank you,

Rhongomiant

I probably could, but I need to know a bit more about the web server you are using. Is it apache or something else and can you point me to a location in the code where the config file for the web server is created?

We wrote our own server, based on AnyEvent:

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-mana...28eb2a9f0a0ded3f03c195ca2fb9e81e02b11;hb=HEAD

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-mana...c308ea6d6601b886b0dec2bada3d4c3da65d0;hb=HEAD

How will this work if I servers with certificates with different intermediate CAs, but the same root CA or different root and intermediate CAs? I do not believe that one file will handle this.

Why do you want such setup? Simple use the same CA (and same intermediate CAs) to issue certificates for all cluster nodes.

Thanks for the info, I will take a look.

How will this work if I servers with certificates with different intermediate CAs, but the same root CA or different root and intermediate CAs? I do not believe that one file will handle this. A suggestion would be to have a cert manager where all the information for all certificates is stored in the clusterfs and then a server config that can select on of the certificates in the clusterfs which if needed would cause the key, cert and all needed CAs to be populated in the specific servers directory within the clusterfs.
Why do you want such setup? Simple use the same CA (and same intermediate CAs) to issue certificates for all cluster nodes.

I think you are trying to over simplify the CA file handling and in doing so you could potentially constrain users without a significantly beneficial reason reason to do so as end users do not control what CAs certificate authorities use to issue certificates. While as long as we buy the same product the root CA will not likely change, the intermediate CAs can change. Lets look at a scenario. A user sets up a Proxmox Server and gets an SSL certificate. Three months later the user gets another server and an SSL certificate for this server using the same SSL product. Months later the user gets another server and an SSL certificate for this server using the same SSL product, but this time the certificate uses different intermediate CAs. Is your view that the users should buy new certificates for all the servers if this happens? There are lots of other examples of what can happen. Users should not have to buy new certificates for all servers in a cluster if they want to change the SSL product they are using because the one they were using before is discontinued, the user wants a cheaper certificate, the user wants to do business with a better Certificate Authority, etc.

Constraining users is not the answer. Please consider moving the CA file to the server side so each server can use the correct CA for the certificate on that server. It would be nice to have a certificate management interface even if you have one server, but as a measure of the value of your time, I think 6 to 10 or more servers in a cluster for a number of your paying clients would warrant your consideration of including a certificate management system to the web interface.

Last edited:
Constraining users is not the answer. Please consider moving the CA file to the server side so each server can use the correct CA for the certificate on that server.

The idea of the cluster is that all nodes in a cluster shares some attributes, for example the CA. But I am open for improvements here, for example we can provide a way to override the CA at node level.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!