pve-zsync sync from one node to several nodes

VGusev2007

Renowned Member
May 24, 2010
Russia
Hi there,

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere, I was not able to find a conclusive answer.

I have several nodes in my cluster. I use zfs-autosnapshot because I want to have 'point in time restore possibility'. I have a conflict zfs-autosnapshot with pvesr. For example: pvesr start sync in this time zfs-autosnapshot wants to make a new snapshot and delete an old snap. In during this I have e-mail warning about zfs error dataset is busy...

I have read about pve-zsync that is can to have multiply snap (maxsnap key). I think it will be good for me. I don't want to use zfs-autosnapshot and pvesr (this is not stable solution and this is doesn't send other that replica snapshot).

So, I want to sync my VMs from one production node to two other nodes (in different locations). Is it possible to have multiple jobs with pve-zsync?

I mean:
  1. job1: sync every 15 min vm101 from node1 to node2 maxsnap 96
  2. job2: sync every 1 hour vm101 from node1 to node3 maxsnap 24
What will do pve-zsync when job1 and job2 will start simultaneously?
Will I have error message about "cannot destroy snapshot data set is busy"?

I have read about pve-zsync can have multi jobs for one VM but I'm not shure about that.

Main feature of pve-zsync
:
- Can keep multiple backups

What it means? It means for maxsnap or sync one VM to several nodes?

Best regards,
Viktor, very long happy user of proxmox.

Hi,
Is it possible to have multiple jobs with pve-zsync?
Yes

Will I have error message about "cannot destroy snapshot data set is busy"?
pve-zsync are serialized so only one sync run at the time.

What it means? It means for maxsnap or sync one VM to several nodes?
It means maxsnap are maximum keep snapshots for this job. in your example, on the sender side, this will be total of 120 snapshots.

Reactions: VGusev2007
Thank a lot for you answer! I will try that.

What about pvesr? Will it be good as pve-zsync? I think pvesr very poor in compare to pve-zsync.

I think pvesr very poor in compare to pve-zsync.
The use case are another one.
pvesr should replicate the data (all) from one node to another in case of having a one to one copy.
pve-zsync is more an (offside) backup tool what are capable of managing snapshots remote.

The use case are another one.
pvesr should replicate the data (all) from one node to another in case of having a one to one copy.
pve-zsync is more an (offside) backup tool what are capable of managing snapshots remote.
Absolutle shure. Is it possible to use it tougether? I have a doubt. :(

When use pve-zsync I need to reconfigure it if i move VM to another server.

Thank for you answer!

As long as the targets are different they work together.
If I will use pvecsr and pve-zsync will I do have mistake like zfs cannot destroy snapshot dataset is busy?
For example: pvecsr and pve-zsync run simultaneously. pve-zsync still under work but pvecsr wants to delete old snap - what will happen?

Thank a lot for you time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!