pve versions when extending a existing pve cluster with new nodes

rainer042

Dec 3, 2019
Hello,

I am running a five node pve cluster with PVE version 7.3-4 . I would like to add three nodes which at the moment build a small cluster on their own. So I have to reinstall these nodes and then join each new installed node to the existing five node cluster.

The question is how important is the pve version I install the new nodes with? There is an installer image version 7.4-1. Can I install this version on a new node and then join it to the 7.4-3 cluster? And if I can, what about migrating VMs between 7.3-4 and 7.3-1, does it work in both directions?

If not, then the only way I know would be to upgrade the existing cluster to the latest 7.4-x version and do the very same with the new nodes to be installed before joining.

Thanks
Rainer

Can I install this version on a new node and then join it to the 7.4-3 cluster? And if I can, what about migrating VMs between 7.3-4 and 7.3-1, does it work in both directions?
Hi,
yes this is possible. Minor versions are compatible and you can join a v7.4 node to a v7.3 cluster. Also migrating VMs within the cluster should not be a problem, as long as the CPU types of the cluster nodes are not to different.

Nevertheless upgrading all nodes to the latest version is recommended.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!