PVE-Server not reachable after installation

dmox

Jul 11, 2018
Hi there,
I installed my new hardware from Thomas-Krenn with PVE (v.5.2.1).
Now after the installation has finished everything seems fine and the message to open the webinterface in the browser appears with the set up IP address.
I am in the same network as the PVE-Server, but unfortunately I am not able to reach the host, neither via a ping or via webinterface.

The server has a NIC with two ports (40 GBit/s) and they are named with enp96s0f[0/1]. I read in the Network Model documentation that there are some naming conventions (only eth[0-99] allowed), but I am pretty sure this is rather not the problem here.

There seems to be something wrong, but atm I do not have a clue (shame on me). Any suggestions? What information could I serve you that would support the debugging?

Thank you very much for any hint.

can you post your /etc/network/interfaces and the output of systemctl status pveproxy ?

Hi dcsapak,
thank you for your response.
The desired output is as follows.

cat /etc/network/interfaces

systemctl status pveproxy.service

UPDATE
I did some further testing to shed some light on this issue:
  • I eliminated the network side, so if I plug in the network cable in another machine, it works as is should.
  • I tested some live linux distros and all of them had problems establishing a link. E.g. Ubuntu displayed both network ports but they were shown as unplugged although the cable was plugged in.

Last edited:
maybe you have plugged in the wrong interface?

maybe you have plugged in the wrong interface?
I only have two options (enp96s0f0 or enp96s0f1). Both result in the same. I am currently talking to Thomas-Krenn because this might be a simple and unlucky case of delivered broken hardware.

Do you have any other tip how I could test the functionality?

Sincerely, dmox

what does
Code:
ip addr
ip link
ip route
say?

also, any relevant messages in 'dmesg' ?

Code:
ip addr

Code:
ip link

Code:
ip route

also, any relevant messages in 'dmesg' ?
I could not see any valuable information provided by dmesg except:

Last edited:
The NO-CARRIER tag in the output of enp96s0f0 (and as a result also in the output for vmbr0) tells you that no link is detected (otherwise it would say LOWER_UP).

* Either it is just plugged into the wrong interface (just try plugging the cable into the other interface)
* Or the driver does not recognize that there is a link (dmesg could provide some information here)
* you could/should also check the other side of the cable (switch/router , if possible just plug in a linux box and check the output)

The NO-CARRIER tag in the output of enp96s0f0 (and as a result also in the output for vmbr0) tells you that no link is detected (otherwise it would say LOWER_UP).

* Either it is just plugged into the wrong interface (just try plugging the cable into the other interface)
* Or the driver does not recognize that there is a link (dmesg could provide some information here)
* you could/should also check the other side of the cable (switch/router , if possible just plug in a linux box and check the output)

Thank you for your response.
  • I get what you mean with the wrong interface -> only enp96s0f0 is a bridge_port for vmbr0. And if I plug it in enp96s0f1 it will therefore not work. => I'll check this one tomorrow (although I thought I've checked the other interface as well...)
  • Do you know what to search for in the output of dmesg to check if the driver does not recognize the plugged in cable?
  • I already tried some live-linux'es and they behave similar to proxmo (nevertheless, if I failed with just pluggin it in the wrong interface, then this will not work of course...)

Last edited:
I get what you mean with the wrong interface -> only enp96s0f0 is a bridge_port for vmbr0. And if I plug it in enp96s0f1 it will therefore not work. => I'll check this one tomorrow (although I thought I've checked the other interface as well...)
You could set the link manually up on enp96s0f1 by running `ip link set enp96s0f1 up` - and then check with `ip link` if the LOWER_UP flag appears.
You could also open a shell and leave `ip monitor` run in it while replugging cables - that should show some output if link states change

check `dmesg` before and after replugging, not all drivers do write messages if a link state changes.

The idea of checking the other side, was meant to check the switch, where the proxmox host is connected, whether it sees a link

the output of `ethtool enp96s0f0` (and `ethtool enp96s0f1`) could also provide you with some insights

You could set the link manually up on enp96s0f1 by running `ip link set enp96s0f1 up` - and then check with `ip link` if the LOWER_UP flag appears.
You could also open a shell and leave `ip monitor` run in it while replugging cables - that should show some output if link states change

check `dmesg` before and after replugging, not all drivers do write messages if a link state changes.

The idea of checking the other side, was meant to check the switch, where the proxmox host is connected, whether it sees a link

the output of `ethtool enp96s0f0` (and `ethtool enp96s0f1`) could also provide you with some insights
Hi Stoiko, I set enp96s0f0 manually up and checked ip link afterwards, which resulted in the following:

When I did the same for enp96s0f1 it also got the NO-CARRIER flag.
I also opened another shell and run ip monitor which gave me these messages (a new one appears about every 2 secs):

The link on the side of the switch does not show any activity, similar to when no hardware is plugged in.
Unfortunately I do not have ethtool installed, can I catch this up via an offline way?

Last edited:
If both the switch side, and the linux side tell you that there's no link - at least they agree - maybe check the cables?

you could also try removing the kernel module (`lspci -nnk` should tell you which one is used) by using `rmmod i40e` (if i40e is the module), and afterwards load it again with `modprobe i40e`, and checking the output of `dmesg`

If both the switch side, and the linux side tell you that there's no link - at least they agree - maybe check the cables?

you could also try removing the kernel module (`lspci -nnk` should tell you which one is used) by using `rmmod i40e` (if i40e is the module), and afterwards load it again with `modprobe i40e`, and checking the output of `dmesg`
Hey, thanks again for your reply. Of course, I already checked the cable (plugging it in another machine results in a proper network functionality).
After removing and adding the kernel module i40e, dmesg shows the following regarding this module:

Thanks again for your willingness to help me. Currently, I am pretty helpless and about to RMA the hardware. Especially, because Thomas-Krenn delivers those as pre-tested PVE-Boxes and therefore they should work out of the box.

the dmesg output doesn't suggest any problems there (apart from the `Link not ready` indicating that there is no link) - maybe try to connect the port directly to another computer and see if anything changes. Also the output of ethtool might give you some suggestions.

the dmesg output doesn't suggest any problems there (apart from the `Link not ready` indicating that there is no link) - maybe try to connect the port directly to another computer and see if anything changes. Also the output of ethtool might give you some suggestions.
I already connected the port to a laptop and it works as it should. As I mentioned, ethtool is not installed and I can not catch this up via apt. Do you know another way doing so, like downloading the sources/pre-compiled binaries from another pc and then copying them onto the PVE-Server?

if the connection between a laptop and your new server works - then I would guess that the problem lies with the switch?

the ethtool debian package should install cleanly (no other dependencies apart from libc6) - you could just download it (e.g. from http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/ethtool/ethtool_4.8-1+b1_amd64.deb) and copy it onto the box via usb flashdrive and install it via `dpkg -i`

if the connection between a laptop and your new server works - then I would guess that the problem lies with the switch?

the ethtool debian package should install cleanly (no other dependencies apart from libc6) - you could just download it (e.g. from http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/ethtool/ethtool_4.8-1+b1_amd64.deb) and copy it onto the box via usb flashdrive and install it via `dpkg -i`
I got you wrong. I did not try a cross-over connection between my laptop and the server. I do not own such a cable...
Thank you for the advice. I thought this would be more complicated (in the meantime I played around with apt-offline). I'll try this tomorrow.

Good morning,
I installed ethtool and run it on both interfaces. The results are as follows:

@Stoiko Ivanov can you see something noteworthy here?

There is one thing I'll test asap: the interfaces only support 1/10 GE (I always thought, the downward compatibility is until the bottom of 10 MBit/s) and the switch connected to it only offers speed up to 100 MBit/s. It might be the case, that the server simply can not establish a link because the minimum network interface speed is not served... (I never was confronted with such a case before).

UPDATE
I am really sorry for wasting your time: the upper block is exactly what was happening here. The switch (only supporting up to 100 MBit/s) could not serve the PVE-Server with a valid link, because the network interface of the server supports only 1/10 GE connections. I successfully tested the whole setup with a new switch that supports 10 GE.

Last edited:
Ahh - jupp - bit me one time as well - the intel 10G nics only support 1G and 10G (not sure about others, but wouldn't be surprised if very few 10G nics supported 100M) - Glad the Problem has been identified!

Ahh - jupp - bit me one time as well - the intel 10G nics only support 1G and 10G (not sure about others, but wouldn't be surprised if very few 10G nics supported 100M) - Glad the Problem has been identified!
Yeah, I've learned something new today ;)
Thank you very much again at this point, @Stoiko Ivanov, you helped me a lot!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!