PVE server not able to connect to network.

san299

Jun 22, 2023
Hi,

I have PVE 7.4-3 version installed and has couple of nodes running. Both the nodes I've installed run fine and connect. I'm also able to access Proxmox web GUI with ip:8006.

But my server when I try to ping for example (8.8.8.8) or try apt update or install says things like
"Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/InRelease Temporary failure resolving 'ftp.us.debian.org' " or
"Destination Host Unreachable".

Also, I have few CT Templates in the server, but when I try to search for other like (NextCloud, etc) they don't show up. I'm guessing thats because it's not able to reach a particular server to fetch them.

Would appreciate any suggestion on how to resolve this.

This is how my /etc/network/interfaces looks like
networkinterface.png

Your local ip address is 192.168.68.2. To get out of this network you need a gateway. The gateway needs to be in inside of this network - to be reachable without routing ;-)

Your gateway is wrong. It should be something like 192.168.68.1 or similar.

Good luck.

From the PVE host what is the output of:
# dig debian.org

Also check on PVe host:
# cat /etc/resolv.conf

But like UdoB said, your Gateway is incorrect (or you have a very exotic network/Gateway config.....).

Last edited:
Your local ip address is 192.168.68.2. To get out of this network you need a gateway. The gateway needs to be in inside of this network - to be reachable without routing ;-)

Your gateway is wrong. It should be something like 192.168.68.1 or similar.

Good luck.
Where do I find my gateway? I check my routers settings and it was showing the gateway IP I have (150.220.91.1) as default gateway. Is there a command that I can use to get the gateway IP?

I am able to login to my router admin settings with the ip 192.168.68.1 so I'm assuming that would be my gateway IP. I changed to that and tried and still doesn't work. I clicked Apply configurations after I changed it in the UI and also rebooted the host by still doesn't work.
please check this file:
# /etc/resolv.conf

It should contain at least one valid DNS server (like 8.8.8.8 etc)
Or else add 192.168.68.1 as DNS server
You can have max 3 DNS servers in this file.

So I changed my gateway IP to 192.168.68.1 as mentioned above and it works. I did ping 8.8.8.8 from host's shell and it was working whereas it was showing "Host Unreachable" before. So I think that's good progress, but when I do apt update it gives me failure resolving 'ftp.us.debian.org'. Is that an issue with the link itself or still missing some config on my host.

Last edited:
So I changed my gateway IP to 192.168.68.1 as mentioned above and it works. I did ping 8.8.8.8 from host's shell and it was working where as it was showing "Host Unreachable" before. So I think that's good progress, but when I do apt update it gives me failure resolving 'ftp.us.debian.org'. Is that an issue with the link itself or still missing some config on my host.
You can ping indeed an ip address like 8.8.8.8, but you cannot ping 'google.com'.
That's where DNS comes in, so please check that file like I mentioned here before.

You can ping indeed an ip address like 8.8.8.8, but you cannot ping 'google.com'.
That's where DNS comes in, so please check that file like I mentioned here before.
Thanks. It worked after I added a nameserver in .conf file. I can now run apt update

Just curious when I go to CT Templates and search for a template it's not showing up in the search. Is that a network issue or a PVE version issue or something else?

Thanks. It worked after I added a nameserver in .conf file. I can now run apt update

Just curious when I go to CT Templates and search for a template it's not showing up in the search. Is that a network issue or a PVE version issue or something else?
From PVE host shell do:

# pveam update
# pveam available

What template are you searching for?

From PVE host shell do:

# pveam update
# pveam available

What template are you searching for?
I was searching for Nextcloud template and wasn't showing up in the search. I tried the commands you mentioned and it works.

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!