[SOLVED] PVE+PBS node in remote location

Hello,

We're looking to setup a Proxmox node responsible mostly for storing backup copies of VMs and LXCs and testing them.
Is it a good idea to connect a remote node to a cluster over VPN? No Ceph nor Live VM migration will be used.
In theory both Corosync and PMXCFS should work?

What is the latency between the locations? Do I understand you correctly? The remote location is a PVE+PBS on the same metal in order to sync the on-site PBS to another geographical location, and the PVE part is there to be able to restore test the backups?

Less than 40ms when pinging the remote directly. I'm expecting ~50ms with IPSec overhead
This will be a problem. Corosync wants low latency and that is definitely a lot. I'd keep it as a separate single node installation

I believe only /etc/pve has to be backed up as it has all the config files for the cluster, correct?
For what use case? If your cluster fails, it should be possible to get it back up and running quite quickly from scratch. All VM specific settings are part of the backup.

I suggest that you back up the whole /etc directory. It can then guide you as a reference on how to set up the network and such things again (/etc/network/interfaces). As a reference because you might be doing it on different hardware, and therefore NIC names might have changed for example.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!