pve Linux 6.5.11-7-pve stucks "loading initial ramdisk..."

chris1284

Dec 15, 2023
Hi,
i have don the upgrade via gui. It installs the new kerner 6.5.11-7-pve. on reboot it stucks
Code:
Loading Linux 6.5.11-7-pve ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...
_

the old kernel 6.2.16-20-pve starts without problems.
I tried first to fix the boot
Code:
#proxmox-boot-tool kernel list
Manually selected kernels:
None.

Automatically selected kernels:
6.2.16-20-pve
6.5.11-7-pve

Code:
# proxmox-boot-tool kernel remove 6.5.11-7-pve
Kernel '6.5.11-7-pve' not found in manual kernel list.
but fails.

what can i do to get the new kernel running or the new kernel from boot menu to avoid booting?

thx

Hi,
do you maybe have the nomodeset kernel command line parameter set? Try to boot without that being set. Further, you might want to test if the kernel boots just fine by re-adding the simplefb module. Please have a look at the discussion in this thread [0].

[0] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pve-8-0-and-8-1-hangs-on-boot.137033/post-609234
nomodeset is not set
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on pcie_acs_override=downstream"

i tried now
Code:
#echo "simplefb" >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

#update-initramfs -u -k update-initramfs -u -k 6.5.11-7-pve
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.5.11-7-pve
Running hook script 'zz-proxmox-boot'..
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
No /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync

#reboot

stucks in Loading initial ramdisk ...

Are you booting via grub or via systemd-boot? Please double check cat /proc/cmdline. Can you reach the server after some time even if there is no console output? Please try to ssh into it and generate the output of dmesg > "dmesg-$(date -I).log" if possible.

booting via grub
Code:
# cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-20-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet intel_iommu=on pcie_acs_override=downstream

no i can not reach the server after ~10 minutes waiting. there is no console output. ssh & dmesg only from 6.2.16-20-pve

Attachments

• dmesg-2023-12-15.log
    107.9 KB · Views: 5
booting via grub
Code:
# cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-20-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet intel_iommu=on pcie_acs_override=downstream

no i can not reach the server after ~10 minutes waiting. there is no console output. ssh & dmesg only from 6.2.16-20-pve
Okay, too bad. Please check if you get more output on the console if you remove the quiet parameter from the kernel command line when booting into the new kernel. You can directly edit the parameters in grub. It might be worth to also test booting without your custom parameters as well and check if this is related to power management via ACPI by disabling it via acpi=off.

i have removed all parameters from grub
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

.stucks.

i have downloaded the proxmox-ve_8.1-1.iso for reinstallation with new version -> same behavior while boot --> stucks loading initial ramdisk
while start from iso there where 2 errors after "welcome grub" (file "/EFI" not found & no such device /.disk/info" & no such device /.disk/mini-info). The GUI installer debug mode also show "loading ramdisk" and stucks (waiting 5 minutes). same for console installer.

booting old proxmox-ve_8.0-2.iso works fine. now i have fresh! version of proxmox ve 6.2.16-3 and running the upgrade runs into the same issue.

I have not changed anything after install. I do not think it is system related

Same thing is happening to me. Is there a workaround, apart from booting in the older kernel?

My datacenter just intervened on my server and indicates that the boot is stuck on "Loading initial ramdisk". I tried both copies of the RAID.

The server is an Asus machine.

I am going to try and modify the kernel used (after checking which was the kernel on installation - I found https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pve-8-0-and-8-1-hangs-on-boot.137033/page-2#post-614142 where a user pinned the kernel version - I just have to determine how to do that with a virtual rootfs...

1704122841952.png

1704122881448.png

1704122594576.png

Attachments

• 1704122863053.png
    1704122863053.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 4
Once in the Grub menu, I edited the rescue grub "script" and added "loglevel=7" to the "linux" line and added an
Code:
echo "Initrd done"
after the initrd line.
On boot "Initrd done" was shown after "Loading initial ramdisk ..." so the ramdisk is loaded, but it does does not boot next?

Bash:
mkdir r
# Examine available devices to select device to mount
lsblk
# Make mount directory
mkdir /mnt/r
# Mount
mount /dev/md126 /mnt/r

# Found kernel relative files such as:
#
# vmlinuz-6.2.16-19-pve
# vmlinuz-6.5.11-4-pve

# Edit /mnt/r/grub/grub.cfg and change the value for "set timeout" in all cases to "= 30"
# Keeping shift or pressing escape at boot should get you in the grub menu as well, but I'm on KVM so I changed the timeout to avoid another reboot.

# If you do not have access to the console, you probably can change the value for "set default" or remove the menu entry.

I managed to get my system booting again.
See https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pve-8-0-and-8-1-hangs-on-boot.137033/post-620810 .

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!