PVE host: what is /boot/grub/device.map trying to do?

I've got a weird problem with a PVE host machine that refuses to reboot without me having to explicitly choose the boot device from the BIOS.

Looking for clues on this I see /boot/grub/device.map contains the following. Does anyone know what this is trying to do?

(hd0) /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-36b083fe0e9dcfb001c496a3b125ab3d8​

The docs mention that it is still used "... for overriding when current environment is different from the one on boot"

Here's what we're using to boot with (/dev/sda2):

/etc/fstab
UUID=ce607f01-f44e-412f-aadc-347cd897bbb2 /boot ext3 defaults 0 1​

/etc/mtab
/dev/sda2 /boot ext3 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0​

But it seems the ID given in the device.map file isn't the one for the actual boot partition:

ls /dev/disk/by-id/ | grep 36b083fe0e9dcfb001c496a3b125ab3d8
scsi-36b083fe0e9dcfb001c496a3b125ab3d8 <<===== listed in device.map
scsi-36b083fe0e9dcfb001c496a3b125ab3d8-part1
scsi-36b083fe0e9dcfb001c496a3b125ab3d8-part2 <<==== should it be this instead? (2nd partition of /dev/sda)
scsi-36b083fe0e9dcfb001c496a3b125ab3d8-part3​

Should I try removing device.map?

J

proxmox-ve: 4.4-82 (running kernel: 4.4.35-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.4-12 (running version: 4.4-12/e71b7a74)
pve-kernel-4.4.35-1-pve: 4.4.35-77

The device map is here to map bios hard disks to Linux disks uuid (the configuration of the boot partition is doned in grub.cfg )

> I've got a weird problem with a PVE host machine that refuses to reboot without me having to explicitly choose the boot device from the BIOS.
why don't you set the correct boot device inside the BIOS ?

Thanks, but the boot process used to work fine. Only after a PVE update a couple of months ago did it start refusing to boot (it actually goes into a loop, rebooting after getting past the POST routine I think).

So it would be good to know why the device map is present at all. Is there a reason it's pointing at /dev/sda and not /dev/sda2?

Thanks, but the boot process used to work fine. Only after a PVE update a couple of months ago did it start refusing to boot (it actually goes into a loop, rebooting after getting past the POST routine I think).

So it would be good to know why the device map is present at all. Is there a reason it's pointing at /dev/sda and not /dev/sda2?

because the device map maps devices, not partitions, like manu said.

if you can boot by manually selecting a non-default drive in the bios boot menu, your bios boot configuration is wrong (either altogether, or just the priorities).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!