PVE + Hetzner vSwitch network issue

AdiP

Mar 20, 2020
Hello,
I am having a very odd issue with my setup - it is on PVE (7.1-10) running on a Hetzner dedicated box and using vSwitch additional network.

Background and setup:
I have a Hetzner vSwitch attached to my server. That vSwitch has an additional /28 public network on it.
When working with hetzner rescue system, everything is ok. However, as soon as i route it through PVE, I get very weird issues, such as apt update not working on the machines even though they have network connectivity.

The issue:
I use a Mikrotik router in a VM normally; but to test this issue, I removed that step - I created a simple ubuntu CT directly connected to vmbr1, having a public IP address, correct netmask & gateway.
It is able to ping, but when i do apt update, or even wget google.com it just sits there.. either at 0% or 'Waiting for Headers' state.
If I see network stats, I see data moving at few B/s (bytes per second) rate, which I don't seems to understand why.

If someone has experienced this, or knows what might be the issue, any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

My PVE network config:
Code:
auto enp9s0
iface enp9s0 inet static
        address xxx.xxx.xxx.xx/xx
        gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.x
        up route add -net xxx.xxx.xxx.x netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gw xxx.xxx.xxx.x dev enp9s0

auto enp9s0.4000
iface enp9s0.4000 inet manual
        mtu 1400
#vSwitch WAN

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports none
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#LAN bridge

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp9s0.4000
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        mtu 1400
#up route add -host xx.xx.xx.xxx dev vmbr1
#WAN bridge

I tried with MTU 1400 & 1500 on the additional network (vmbr1 & VLAN). When 1500 - all of the additional network stops working.
And I tried with and without this up route add -host xx.xx.xx.xxx dev vmbr1 line in vmbr1. Both times, same issue.

VM is connected to vmbr1 I assume? In that case probably adjust vm's nic mtu to 1400. Test with
Code:
ping -s 1410 1.1.1.1

What is your /etc/pve/lxc/CT-ID.conf?

I'm also not sure, do you need to enable ip forwarding? I need it for the private network on vlan vmbr1, but I'm not sure if it is needed if you have public /28 on vlan vmbr1. I'm a networking noob.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!