PVE Cannot Remove Deleted VM From View and my logs stopped working?

ms230000751

Apr 18, 2022
I am having some trouble with proxmox today.
I booted it up today and tried to add a new USB device to the hardware configuration of a vm. But I noticed that it was not doing anything. Did not add it to the list of the hardware devices so I tried it again. Still nothing. I thought, maybe 4 is too many USB ports to pass through to the VM for some reason - so I removed one of the existing ones, but the same thing happened - that is, no change in the hardware configuration.

I tried removing a bunch of things and adding a bunch of random items but nothing at all. So I decided to go into the config file manually and make the changes. That's when I saw that everthing I had been doing had actually taken affect, as the USB additions and removals were reflected in the .conf file, just not the web interface view.

I rebooted, nothing.
I deleted the vm - or tried to. I got no message in the log saying the delete was even started or finished, and it does not look like my vm_storage on the hard drive went down any. Although, I can't confirm this. I did not check the size of the volume prior to deletion. I just know that the VM's .conf file was deleted and whenever I try to launch it - it acknowledges that it is no longer there, but it still will not remove itself from the node view!

I tried creating a new VM over top of it with the same ID, and it seemed to go through - although it will only show the config of the previous VM that I already deleted? What the heck?
Also, I start it in the console view and it will turn on but the VM reference in the node never updates its status or shows that it is running.

Clearly some file somewhere is stuck from that old "cursed" vm and now nothing in that slot will update with the proper information.

This is beyond my understanding as I have just gotten into proxmox.

I really do not want to reinstall proxmox. I'm not sure how I would reimport my current VMs into the new isntallation if I did, and if that would bring over the curse all over again.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

As a side note, I made a backup of my node in /etc/pve/nodes/pve and then deleted the node and restarted. Upon reboot, my node was still there and so were all the VMs, but every single one of them when I tried to access any of their pages would sit at loading and say it could not find the .conf file.

All EXCEPT THE CURSED ONE - that one acted like nothing was wrong and like it was still there as long as I did not try to launch it... I'm so confused right now

I really need some experienced proxmox user guidance here because I am sure I am just a noob at this and I'm overlooking a solution that is right at the tip of my fingers.
Oh - and my tasks are not updating either. I'm not getting any notice of tasks I'm trying to perform right now. But if I go into the Task History on my node, I can see all the tasks just fine.

It looks to me like proxmox might have gotten corrupted somehow but I have no idea how. I had no bad shutdowns - nothing was behaving strange - everything was working - and then I boot it up today at 1030 and it's unexplained madness

Attachments

• 1 VM Running But Not showing As Running.PNG
    1 VM Running But Not showing As Running.PNG
    98 KB · Views: 8
  • 2 VM hardware configuration is not reflected in web view.PNG
    2 VM hardware configuration is not reflected in web view.PNG
    39 KB · Views: 10
  • 3 Tasks not updating in bottom tray.PNG
    3 Tasks not updating in bottom tray.PNG
    107.3 KB · Views: 9
Wow - i fixed it.
I should have tried this sooner but alas.

I decided to go ahead and do a reinstall of proxmox - but on a new drive just in case...
New install went through and the I logged into it and noticed that despite it being a brand new installation - the same VMs and same issues were on this new OS.

I opened a new browser (chrome instead of firefox) and this one displayed the fresh install of proxmox and the clean node.

So i fixed the issue by going into firefox settings and deleting all cached web content....... Yep.

So I then popped back on the original drive and everything is working. What a facepalm moment. Always jumping to the conclusion that its got to be more complicated than it actually is.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!