[SOLVED] PVE 7.4-3 - Scanning for NFS share doesn't return a mount path

patrick.reinboth

Jul 5, 2022
Hi all!

I am currently having trouble in mounting a NFS share I created on a Synology in PVE 7.4-3.
The scan for the external paths returns nothing, but I am 100% sure that the NFS share is configured correctly on the synology as I have other services already connected to NFS shares there.

I even tried to mount the share directly via cli on the server to see if there maybe is a connection issue via
Code:
mount -t nfs IP:/volume1/pve_test /mnt/pve_test
but that works just fine! Adding it directly in
Code:
/etc/pve/storage.cfg
didn't work though.

I also tried to run
Code:
pvesm nfsscan IP
but that just returned
Code:
clnt_create: RPC: Timed out

Do you have any ideas what the issue might be in this case?

The usual Linux convention is that a string inside brackets, not prefaced with single or double dash, needs to be replaced with an appropriate value. In your case an IP of the NFS server...

Code:
Square Brackets [ ]

The square brackets ( [ ] ) indicate that the enclosed element (parameter, value, or information) is optional. You can choose one or more items or no items. Do not type the square brackets themselves in the command line.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

The usual Linux convention is that a string inside brackets, not prefaced with single or double dash, needs to be replaced with an appropriate value. In your case an IP of the NFS server...

Code:
Square Brackets [ ]

The square brackets ( [ ] ) indicate that the enclosed element (parameter, value, or information) is optional. You can choose one or more items or no items. Do not type the square brackets themselves in the command line.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
The more you know.
In that case, I get the same timeout message I got before by running pvesm nfsscan:
Code:
clnt_create: RPC: Timed out

Can you run this command from any other host?

In summary, Proxmox is using native Linux (Kernel and Userland) NFS functionality. It uses basic probing commands, such as showmount and rpcinfo to confirm that NFS storage is available. In your case these commands fail (time out). There could be many reasons:
- mtu mismatch
- bad cable / packet loss
- firewall at pve/switch/synology
- misconfiguration of synology
just to name a few.
It can be debated whether the particular probing that PVE does is universal enough, but it is what it is today. Until you have showmount and rpcinfo working you will continue having issues at PVE level as it relies on them.

Reactions: patrick.reinboth
Can you run this command from any other host?

In summary, Proxmox is using native Linux (Kernel and Userland) NFS functionality. It uses basic probing commands, such as showmount and rpcinfo to confirm that NFS storage is available. In your case these commands fail (time out). There could be many reasons:
- mtu mismatch
- bad cable / packet loss
- firewall at pve/switch/synology
- misconfiguration of synology
just to name a few.
It can be debated whether the particular probing that PVE does is universal enough, but it is what it is today. Until you have showmount and rpcinfo working you will continue having issues at PVE level as it relies on them.

Thank you for your answer which pointed me into the right direction!
I tried the same command on a different host, which had active NFS mounts and I got a timeout there as well. So I checked the synology again and saw that the firewall dropped port 111.

We didn't need it open till now, but your explanation, helped me to understand while it is needed in this case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!