PVE 6 Bug with Active Directory

T.Herrmann

Aug 10, 2018
On the PVE 6.0.4 the Active Directory connection stopped working.

With same settings in PVE 5.4.11 it works fine on PVE 6.04 login with Active Directory accounts not possible.

Where I can check this issue in CLI ?

Best Tim.

Same Configuration but different behavior

output from journalctl -f

PVE 5.4.11
pvedaemon[21175]: <root@pam> successful auth for user ‚xxxx@xxx.de'

PVE 6.0.4
pvedaemon[30092]: authentication failure; host=192.xx.xxx.xxx user=xxx@xxx msg=no such user ('xxx@xxx')

Here is the config for der AD-Connection. Sorry I took out the original name of the server for security reasons.

PVE_AD.png

Have there been updates to this issue? Just updated pve5.4 to pve6 and our AD Authentication ended up breaking. I have SSL disabled in the short term to get it working for now - are there any other workarounds for this?

The Problem is the old MS Active Directory Server (probably Windows Server 2008 or older) with support for TLSv1.0 only.

Debian Buster set the minimum to TLSv1.2.

Solution:
  • nano /etc/ssl/openssl.cnf MinProtocol = TLSv1.2 >> TLSv1.0

The Problem is the old MS Active Directory Server (probably Windows Server 2008 or older) with support for TLSv1.0 only.

Solution:

Unfortunately that does not appear to be the issue (or resolution). I tried the fix but it didn't resolve the issue and I did find that our AD Server blocks v1.0 and utilizes v1.2.

Ok, in our case this solution workout fine.

Just to update this thread - that did end up being the issue. After looking into which AD server we were trying to talk to we found out it was, in fact, a 2008 server. Our environment has newer servers available so after pointing to them all is well. Thanks for the information!

Solution:

No need to drop down the whole TLS security for the host!
The realm config got a new "sslversion" property (see here for commit) in libpve-access-control (6.0-4).
It's much better if you use that to enforce the lower TLS version.

I'll see that I can add Webinterface support for this, for now you can set it by editing /etc/pve/domains.cfg
It could then look like:
Code:
pve: pve
    comment Proxmox VE authentication server
    default 0

pam: pam
    comment Linux PAM standard authentication

ldap: xyzfoo
    base_dn CN=Users,Company=Proxmox,Domain=PROXMOX
    server1 xyzfoo.proxmox.com
    user_attr uid
    sslversion tlsv1
    secure 1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!