ProxmoxVE Hosting Provider for the US

My money and time is tied up by my startup, so I doubt I will be able to help much

This is help in and of itself, so thank you for your insight!

I'll add this goal to the FOSS Factory project requirements document I'm writing up.

We're in the midst of doing something like this. The goal is to have a standalone panel that can be integrated with hostbill / whmcs / standalone API so people can use it effortlessly. It will server as a client-side panel as well as an admin panel to facilitate the business side of proxmox.

It will handle multiple clusters, networking etc and it will offer templating but in a more elegant manner.

We're in the midst of doing something like this.

I'd be interested in learning what you learn through your process going through doing it.
What do you mean by templating? What will that do, presets on VMs?

We are just about to launch a proxmox driven platform for VPS

I was talking to someone in the ##proxmox IRC channel tonight about how PVE isn't well suited for a VPS backend, and how Openstack & Eucalyptus are better choices for a company who wants to offer commercial VPS offerings.

So why did you choose PVE over these others in your venture?

Due to the overwhelming nature of competing platforms, I'm deleting the ProxPASS project I started earlier in this thread. It seems there are already better tools for the job, and if the PVE devs don't want to integrate the function into PVE natively, it doesn't make sense to have people install a second piece of software to make it all work.

Plus who's really going to pick it up & make it happen? No one.

So oh, well. It was nice to think about it for a bit.

Maybe one day PVE devs will integrate billing storefront & portals into pve.

I've been looking at crowdfunding platforms as a potential solution to the heavy capital investment problem inherent with starting a datacenter, and have come up with a tentative schedule of rewards for contributors. I figured I'd post my first draft here for feedback if you all would be so kind to pipe up & let me know your thoughts on how attractive &/or realistic these might seem to you.

I'm now thinking of using OpenStack as the platform of choice, since it supports NexentaStor & I want to be able to offer the feature-rich ZFS filesystem for block storage.

Potential Contribution Rewards:

$1 - $1,999:

500 MB non-deduplicated storage for 1 VM instance (assuming the account is in good standing) for a period of 5 years per $1 contributed between $1 - $1,999.

$2,000 - $9,999:

Free lifetime deduplication for all of 1 VM instance's storage (assuming the account is in good standing) per $1,000 contributed between $2,000 - $9,999.

$10,000 - $49,999:

Free single instance of our most premium VM instance package for life per $10,000 contributed between $10,000 - $49,999.

$50,000 - $99,999:

Free transferable lifetime membership in our most premium paid support option per $50,000 contributed between $50,000 - $99,999.

$100,000 - $500,000:

Lifetime use of any of our service offerings, limited to 10% of our initial datacenter's capacity per $100,000 contributed- with a cap of 50% total initial capacity available through this offer.

I....
I'm now thinking of using OpenStack as the platform of choice, ....

So you are crap canning ProxMox ? or am I missing something?
I already own a datacenter - so don't see the need on adding to it :)
With Hostbill most of the answers are already there when it comes to building out proxmox as a provider.

What makes this different than say the Rackspace Private Cloud that you can host in your own dc on your own equipment?

Proxmox on Hostbill does not do KVM templates - it does not compete with software like OnApp

I'm now thinking of using OpenStack as the platform of choice, since it supports NexentaStor & I want to be able to offer the feature-rich ZFS filesystem for block storage.

Please stop to miss-use this forum for unrelated things.

- - - Updated - - -

Proxmox on Hostbill does not do KVM templates - it does not compete with software like OnApp

What exactly is an OnApp template? I wanted to download one, but can't find anything.

The Proxmox excuse of copyright infringement and that's why kvm templating is not allowed is a wash - every cloud orchestration platform allows for templating

Those templates are just VM configurations, not including any binaries?

Only for OnApp

http://onapp.com/cloud/how-it-works/vm-templates/

Cloudstack also allows KVM templates

The Proxmox excuse of copyright infringement and that's why kvm templating is not allowed is a wash - every cloud orchestration platform allows for templating

You do not understand the point. You need to define what you mean with by a "template".

Our CT templates includes all binary packages. therefore, we cannot offer RHEL as a OpenVZ template as RHEL do not allow re-distributing their binary packages. If you know someone distributing RHEL templates including binary packages, they either have a special agreement with RHEL or they do not respect the licenses - feel free to post a link here.

but others - like citrix xenserver or onapp - speak about templates but NOT include the binary packages. this means, you use their template, but you need ADDITIONAL the installation ISO to deploy it, e.g. from redhat or windows.

?
http://onapp.com/tmplmgr/
I do understand. ISO or not, its an automated deployment process. We have NOC-PS VPS manager deploying proxmox vps (modified) and it is not a permanent solution but closer
but onapp I can deploy a fully ready CentOS VM from "template" without having to go through install ...

I think maybe you are confused - http://cdn.onapp.com/files/docs/onapp_2-0_admin_guide.pdf

5.1 What Templates Are
At its core, an OnApp template is a tar + gzip archive that contains the root directory (/ directory) of an operating system.

The standard templates include basic packages necessary for the minimum OS installation. OnApp templates go with the recommended disk size/memory/CPU values. Windows 2008 templates require 20GB of free disk space. Windows 2003 templates require 10GB. Most Linux templates require 2–10GB.

Your Control Panel’s
Templates menu lists all templates available on your system, and provides tools to delete templates and download new templates. Click a template’s label to list the virtual machines on the system based on that template.

5.2 What Templates Do

Templates in OnApp are fully pre-configured operating system environments on which you can build virtual machines. Templates help cut down on the installation, configuration and maintenance costs associated with running complex software. You can set up new virtual machines extremely quickly using libraries of pre-configured templates.

5.3 Types of Templates

OnApp supports two types of templates:

System templates
are provided by the OnApp team and can be downloaded from the online library. A system template is an operating system with the latest set of packages installed.

Custom templates
are templates you create by converting a backup of an existing virtual machine. Custom templates allow you to pre-configure virtual machines and use the same configuration over and over again.

but onapp I can deploy a fully ready CentOS VM from "template" without having to go through install ...

thats what we have for CT´s. you can deploy a CT in seconds.

just to note, KVM templates, cloning etc. is since quite a long time in development.

I think when people on this board mean they want template - that is what they mean - an easy way to deploy VMs

can you provide a link to the onapp redhat template? and please, use a bigger font.

can you provide a link to the onapp redhat template? and please, use a bigger font.

Sorry didn't know my font was small just pasted from the PDF

http://templates.repo.onapp.com/

Each .gz includes a .mbr which sets the partition and then a .img which I believe they DD. My onapp cluster is no longer on but I can put one up

Also even without redhat the other templates are quite useful

Thank you!

Please stop to miss-use this forum for unrelated things.

Sorry, I was just expressing my train of thought on its natural tangent due to Proxmox's scope of development not including 'cloud-in-a-box' functionality. I didn't intend to bash PVE at all. Really, I apologize.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!