ProxmoxVE 6.1 Install Fails - Black Screen

atronic

Mar 1, 2020
Hi All,

I have recently rented a new server from OVH and trying to get ProxmoxVE 6.1 installed. I am trying to avoid using their template because of the unknown changes and issues other users have experienced in the past. I am using the OVH IPMI with latest PromoxVE ISO, all goes well but then after a successful DHCP discovery I just get a black screen with single cursor as per the screenshot.

I have tried various things from legacy boot mode to disabling various settings in BIOS but no joy. 6.1 I believe is the correct version to go for as I am looking to utilise ZFS on NVME disks.

Basic server spec:
RISE-LE-2 - Intel Xeon E3-1270v6 - 32GB DDR4 ECC 2133MHz - 2x 4TB SATA Datacenter Class + 2x 450GB SSD NVMe Soft RAID

Can anyone provide any advice on how to troubleshoot this further to try and identify what is causing the issue, or if you have experienced something similar and have a workaround/fix?

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Atronic

1583072371185.png

Thanks for the response, I had came across these threads and had tried the option for "nomodeset", I am not in control of bios as server is hosted by OVH, removed the quiet option and as far as it gets is completing DHCP discovery.

So I thought it was maybe a separate issue, tried debug mode and does not drop to shell. So created this thread to see if there is any specific users having the same issue or if there are any tips for debugging to narrow down what might be causing the issue.

Further update on this, with quiet option removed and nomodeset enabled I was dropped to shell instead of black screen. Looks like there a graphics issue as Xorg log file is giving an error "cannot run in framebuffer mode", does anyone have any advice on this?

1583193052218.png

I am using RISE 1 machine on OVH but with 2 NVMe drives 1.92TB Datacenter only 64GB RAM facing same issue as you are getting.

Please check attached snapshot for diagnosing. I am using Proxmox 6.1 ISO also install log (/tmp/install.log) is not created during installation as on screenshot.

Attachments

• ProxmoxError .jpg
    ProxmoxError .jpg
    130 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I had this issue today on a machine whilst using HDMI output from my graphics card with that same cursor and happening at the exact same point in the installation. Switching to VGA output on the same card fixed it. Not sure exactly why that would be, but maybe something to do with framebuffer and what modes are supported.

I had this problem on motherboard with no VGA. There was a serial port instead. GRUB supposes that machine have some graphics card so solution for me was to edit grub.cfg file like so:
1. replace "set gfxpayload=1024x768" to "set gfxpayload=text"
2. replace "terminal_output gfxterm" to "terminal_output console"
3. replace "rw quiet splash=silent" to "rw nomodeset console=ttyS0,115200n8" (your baud rate may vary)
After that grub showed ASCII menu:
proxmox_menu.png

Modification of grub.cfg was a bit tricky for me since I was unable to find ISO-editor on Windows that can handle that without asking money.
Fortunately grub.cfg file is not encoded in any way inside ISO and I was able to edit ISO-file with HEX-editor before writing image to USB-stick.
Like so:
proxmox_edit.png

Hope it helps someone =)

In my case it looks like a problem with the screen resolution. What I did was just set the Mode in the X11 config file for each display:

Bash:
cd /etc/X11
Xorg -configure
mv /xorg.conf.new ./xorg.conf
vi xorg.conf

Add the Modes supported in each SubSection "Display":

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor      "Configured Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    24
        Modes   "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!