Proxmox5.0 / VM will not boot from CDROM

Spiros Pap

Aug 1, 2017
Hi all,

I am creating a VM with a centos iso installed as a CDROM (ide2) and the VM will not boot from cdrom. The seaBIOS sits there doing nothing.

I am doing the same thing on proxmox4.4 and the VM boots just fine from the same iso.

The VM options look the same on both proxmox 4.4 and 5.0.

Any ideas?

Thanx,
Spiros

Hi all,

I am creating a VM with a centos iso installed as a CDROM (ide2) and the VM will not boot from cdrom. The seaBIOS sits there doing nothing.

I am doing the same thing on proxmox4.4 and the VM boots just fine from the same iso.

The VM options look the same on both proxmox 4.4 and 5.0.

Any ideas?

Thanx,
Spiros

I just noticed that proxmox 4.4 uses SeaBios 1.9, while proxmox5.0 has SeaBIOS1.10. When SeaBIOS1.9 boots, I can see it tries to boot from harddisk and fails (becuase there is no OS) and then it goes to cdrom and network and I can see all these tries. When SeaBIOS 1.10 (proxmox5.0) boots, it does not try anything. It just prints the name of the BIOS and stays there doing nothing....

Later info: I tried to use SeaBIOS1.9 on proxmox5 but the same thing happened: SeaBIOS1.9 printed the BIOS string and froze when the VM booted. So I guess it is not a BIOS issue.

Spiros

Last edited:
I just noticed that proxmox 4.4 uses SeaBios 1.9, while proxmox5.0 has SeaBIOS1.10. When SeaBIOS1.9 boots, I can see it tries to boot from harddisk and fails (becuase there is no OS) and then it goes to cdrom and network and I can see all these tries. When SeaBIOS 1.10 (proxmox5.0) boots, it does not try anything. It just prints the name of the BIOS and stays there doing nothing....

Spiros
Proxmox5.0 is a test setup on a vmware hypervisor with nested virt enabled. Is it possible that this is the culprit?

Sp

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!