Proxmox ZFS Host Backup

May 18, 2019
Varies
Looking to back up enough for a bare metal restore of an up to date PVE, ZFS install from ISO. I'm using

Code:
proxmox-backup-client backup root.pxar:/ --repository $PBS_REPOSITORY --include-dev /boot/efi --include-dev /etc/pve --include-dev /rpool --exclude /rpool/data

but I am getting

Code:
skipping mount point: "dev"
skipping mount point: "mnt/swap"
skipping mount point: "proc"
skipping mount point: "rpool/ROOT"
skipping mount point: "run"
skipping mount point: "sys"
skipping mount point: "var/lib/lxcfs"

A) I shouldn't skip "rpool/ROOT" according to the "--include-dev /rpool" part. It should skip "rpool/data". The opposite happened. PS: there is some uncertainty regarding the path for exclusions, I tried both of the options mentioned here.

UPDATE: the correct parameters are "proxmox-backup-client backup root.pxar:/ --repository $PBS_REPOSITORY --include-dev /boot/efi --include-dev /etc/pve --include-dev /rpool/ROOT --include-dev /rpool/ --exclude /data"

I also noted

Code:
root.pxar: had to backup 25.22 GiB of 25.573 GiB (compressed 22.741 GiB) in 2088.32s
root.pxar: average backup speed: 12.367 MiB/s
root.pxar: backup was done incrementally, reused 361.524 MiB (1.4%)
Uploaded backup catalog (1.675 MiB)
Duration: 2090.66s

B) this was the first backup. does this look like proper output for a first backup?

C) Lastly, do I have the right parameters to build enough for a bare metal restore?

Last edited:
C) Lastly, do I have the right parameters to build enough for a bare metal restore?
There are also config files outside of "/etc/pve". For example "/etc/hosts", "/etc/resolv.conf", "/etc/network/interfaces", "/etc/vzdump.conf", ... . Keep in mind that PVE isn't an appliance, its a full fledged linux with hundreds of services. So I would backup the whole "/etc" folder.

Reactions: Proxygen
There are also config files outside of "/etc/pve". For example "/etc/hosts", "/etc/resolv.conf", "/etc/network/interfaces", "/etc/vzdump.conf", ... . Keep in mind that PVE isn't an appliance, its a full fledged linux with hundreds of services. So I would backup the whole "/etc" folder.

/etc gets backed up entirely!
/etc/pve has to be specified bc it is a mount point, and PBS doesn't back them up by default.

I will need to exclude /var/lib/vz, bc I don't want backups (only content there) being backed up with the host.

Do I need to include every dir in /var/lib/ only so I can exclude /var/lib/vz? seems to be how this works now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!