Proxmox won't boot even with dummy HDMI plug

msergey

Oct 30, 2022
Hi,

I have a problem with Intel-N6005 mini PC that I'm trying to use as a secondary PVE host:

I've managed to install and run PVE on this unit only with the help of `nomodeset` otherwise I've always seen a black screen during install/boot.
Now PVE host is accessible via Web/SSH but only if it was booted while the real display was connected. Otherwise, it just reaches grub menu I guess, and does nothing more.

So I've bought HDMI dummy plug to workaround this problem. The HDMI dummy plug was verified on Windows laptop and MacBook M1 when connected via Type-C dock.
But it seems like nothing changes for N6005 unit when the dummy plug is inserted or not - the server just won't boot

I have another PVE instance that is running on top of old Intel-5200U hardware without any issues during setup and it does not require anything to be connected to HDMI...
So it's definitely the problem in my N6005 unit but is there something I could do with HDMI plug or Debian configuration in order to overcome this limitation and make this piece of hardware useful?

(my main need is to allow either manual server restarts or automatic server restarts after the power outage without the need to connect real monitor there).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi,

The only real idea I have is setting GRUB=TIMEOUT=0 in /etc/default/grub:

Also, check the bootlogs to see if it actually starts to boot and the syslogs in case it does actually boot.

If the pve install is still fresh and nothing important is on the machine you could also try installing debian or some other distro to see if you can start them headless, although that is a long shot.

Hi Noel,
Thank you for your reply!

I'm using default GRUB_TIMEOUT=5 and I've also uncommented to GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1" to check if server actually reaches at least grub phase. I can confirm that I can hear grub beeping tune and after 5 seconds of timeout I can see that HDD led is active for about a second and then nothing happens (during the normal boot with connected display the HDD led is bright for like 5-7 additional seconds).

I've also tried to view boot logs but journalctl --list-boots doesn't show unsuccessful boots, so it looks like boot process stucks at the very beginning right after grub activates it after timeout.

I believe there's a kind of hardware problem but I didn't try installing raw Debian or running Windows 11 without display on this machine yet
So I'll migrate my containers to another node in the cluster and will try that a bit later. Thanks!

Hi Noel,
Thank you for your reply!

I'm using default GRUB_TIMEOUT=5 and I've also uncommented to GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1" to check if server actually reaches at least grub phase. I can confirm that I can hear grub beeping tune and after 5 seconds of timeout I can see that HDD led is active for about a second and then nothing happens (during the normal boot with connected display the HDD led is bright for like 5-7 additional seconds).

I've also tried to view boot logs but journalctl --list-boots doesn't show unsuccessful boots, so it looks like boot process stucks at the very beginning right after grub activates it after timeout.

I believe there's a kind of hardware problem but I didn't try installing raw Debian or running Windows 11 without display on this machine yet
So I'll migrate my containers to another node in the cluster and will try that a bit later. Thanks!
How you found a solution? I have the same issue

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!