Proxmox web interface doesn't work on many systems

ksten

Jan 16, 2018
If I try to access my proxmox web interface from chrome on a chromebook, none of the buttons or screen widgets work (it's basically like a static page). Same goes for accessing it from Firefox.

I've also noticed that sometimes when accessing it via a browser that does work, most actions bring up a requestor "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?" Selecting yes or no makes no difference (it still does whatever you selected), but having to stop to dismiss the requestor all the time gets old fast...

I can't reproduce it here. We have so many years Proxmox. Works here and in the Office (Windows7/10,2008r2/server2016/UbuntuLinux/KDENeon) on Google Chrome/Chromium/Firefox fine. The only one that isn't working is MS Internetexplorer. But really, who want's them...
Chromebook not tested, sorry i haven't one. On mac it is also working fine, Android too.

So do you have an up do date PVE and an up do date Webbrowser? Maybe some blocker/security extensions? Firewall between?

I'm running Virtual Environment 5.1-42.
I am connecting over a LAN.

So far I've tested:

Windows 10, Firefox: Fail
Windows 10, Edge: Success
Windows 10, Chrome: Success

Ubuntu 16.04, Firefox: Fail
Ubuntu 16.04, Chrome: Success
Ubuntu 16.04, Chromium: Success

Mac High Sierra, Safari: Success
Mac High Sierra, Firefox: Success

Chromeos, Chrome: Fail

Hello,

Same here with asus zenbook touchscreen with windows 10. I got the famous problems:
- chrome: "Are you sure you want to navigate..."
- firefox: cannot click on the buttons (solution change about:config option which handle touch, but will disable it on all site and i need touch device to test some developments...)

I think you should one time for all corect those problems, more and more user will use touch screen on netbooks. I just come from XenServer (because they remove some important features on community version on the last 7.3, and i was always looking to proxmox so it act me to do the jump and try proxmox!). I like proxmox for now, but those sort of bug (here for several month now as some post on this forum show it) are anoying and are mitigating my proxmox experience on my setup.

Problem is well know ExtJs bug. They provided a fix. I can guide you to this PHP framework using ExtJS 6 which use those fix:
(i cannot post link... so i put them in the uploaded "links.txt" file assoiated to my answer)

I don't know which version of extjs is used by proxmox, but i think those type of patchs are the road to go so it can be easily added.
I hope it can be done in the next release so my developpers with touch screen can enjoy proxmox : )

Thanks!

Attachments

• links.txt
    289 bytes · Views: 13
For reference i add this post, because i just struggle in this problem too:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/mouse-not-working-on-console-novnc.32619/

: (

Solutionfor now is to disable the tactile screen on dekstop/notebook with tactile screen.
You can do it by desactivating the hardware on windows (in device manager).
In the same time there is not more problem on the proxmox Gui (popin with scroll bars because button are bigger, no click on firefox, ... there are no more here :) ).

Last edited:
i know those overrides, but did not want to include them, because they change something in the framework on a deep level, and i was not sure if this will make problems.
but since there are now more and more people facing that issue and sencha does not seem to release a gpl version with a fix soon,
i will look again into those overrides, test them, and if they make no problems, i will send a patch to include them

Reactions: shantanu
I am having this Issue as well, (Dell XPS 13 - Kaby lake Touchscreen Model) on Proxmox 5.1-51 in Chrome Stable.

I have the same problem on my Surface Pro - this is really annoying and needs fixing. More and more devices will get touchscreens on windows 10 ...

Thanks in advance!

Just confirming this still isn't fixed, just reinstalled Windows and Chrome on my Dell XPS 13 and the bug still occurs i.e. actions bring up a requestor "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?" Selecting yes or no makes no difference.

This only occurs on my Touchscreen Dell XPS 13 and only occurs in Chrome (with Touch Events API enabled). So the two factors needed to reproduce this issue, is a touchscreen and use of Chrome under Windows 10. Issue doe not occur in other browsers.

On my Surface Pro (Touchscreen-Panel) this issue occurs also on Firefox (latest version, also for Proxmox), so this issue is - at least for me - not related solely to chrome.

Hi There ;
same issue ( HP spectre Win10 ) .
just found a browser-side fix ; as touchscreen is'nt usefull in the proxmox GUI just disable the touch events.

about:config: set dom.w3c_touch_events.enabled = 0

As i don't found a way to set a site-specific about:config ; i'm using a dedicaced profile for proxmox.

hope that will help.

Reactions: shantanu
I subscribe and am on the latest release. If I use a touchscreen laptop to access the GUI, I cannot scroll with either the touchpad or the touchscreen. I am using a Pixelbook. It used to work if I used the touchscreen but somewhere along the stream of updates that no longer works.

I did some checking and Chrome changed the default setting for ontouch API late last year to disabled.
https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4764225348042752
If I force it back to enabled, then I can use the touchscreen to navigate the Proxmox GUI but the trackpad still doesn't work.
This was the behavior I experienced earlier.

The android version of Firefox seems to work though - as long as I don't enable the 'desktop version' of the site.
If I do, then the GUI doesn't respond to either touch or click.

In the link above they suggest to use PointerEvent API instead...

Any resolution on this issue? I am running Proxmox v5.4-13 and can not use the touchpad on my Chromebook PIxel 2015 (touchscreen). I can click and drag the page to scroll (as if the pointer was my finger), so it's clearly thinking that I'm on a touch-only device and ignoring regular touchpad/mouse inputs. Is this something that has been fixed on later versions?

This is still a problem with Proxmox 6. On my Pixel Slate I can work around it by using click-and-drag instead of two fingers on the trackpad. But in tablet mode without a hardware keyboard I can't scroll the Proxmox UI at all.

The mobile UI works but is, um, somewhat lacking in functionality.

but something did change with proxmox 6 as the issue is no longer present on my microsoft surface pro (5).

On my other cluster (running proxmox 5) the issue is still there.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!