Proxmox VM console from GUI freezes

ZooKeeper

Aug 5, 2020
So, I started noticing this weird freezes. While I am typing inside VM console from proxmox GUI, it suddenly freeze. By refreshing page or clicking to different menu item in poromox and clicking back to console start working. I had issue in old latest install. I did complete new install and having same issue.

Hi,

Have you tried on a different browser?
Does the Syslog says anything when the console got frozen?

what is the PVE version are you use pveversion -v ?

I tried for quite a few browser and windows and linux both. and this is what comes up when i run pveversion -v

Capture.PNG

@Moayad , I did complete new install of my pc and tried again. Same issue. I tried new install of chrome browser. Same issue. I really don't want to install fresh copy of proxmox in order to fix this issue as it was also new install.

Hi friend, did you find a solution to this problem? I'm going through the same situation, and I can't reinstall, because my server is in production.

Hi friend, did you find a solution to this problem? I'm going through the same situation, and I can't reinstall, because my server is in production.
Edit: i thought I was typing in windows 10 issue I had. Are you using two IPs?

Last edited:
I've been troubleshooting this for a few days. It's been happening for the past several months.

If your proxmox server is connected to more than one subnet, and has an IP configured on them, I'd look at that.

For me, I had an issue a while back and configured a spare ethernet port to connect to the subnet my computer was on, so I could connect to a local IP to perform network changes. I never removed it... Fast forward, because I normally connect to the proxmox IP that's on another subnet, I guess the network path was being split and causing problems (return packets would come out a different interface because it was local). As soon as I removed that IP from proxmox on my local subnet, the issue went away.

FYI, I was able to reliably reproduce the freeze by watching a video in the proxmox VM console and keep moving the mouse around. It would consistently freeze after about 50 seconds. No more!

Greets and Happy belated New Year! I just started having problems with a 4 node cluster running different machines - NEVER had console or terminal issue until just recently (only added a new switch to the network) - now when I open a console from the Proxmox GUI - or start a console with VNC or Spice - no matte whether it's a VM console or not - the console freezes up after an undetermined amount of time - just stops working.

There doesn't seem to be and errors or logs showing something wrong!! Oddly enough, my setup was working fine for over a year without issue, but now it's become unreliable ?!?!? Any hints welcome!!

I just tested on the same network a stand alone Promox node - and it works without issue (running htop or btop constantly in window) - when I do this with any node in my cluster - the console freezes / hangs - This was not happening in the past ?!?

rfox, in your cluster, do you have more than one IP assigned to it that are on different networks?

what was that new switch added for?

Thanks Luckyj for your response - YES, I have multiple IPs assigned to different VLAN segments (see attachment) and that has worked fine since over 14 months - not the issue. Turns out, after many tests - my main machine which I use to access was in the wrong VLAN segment - so this issue only affected ONE machine and Proxmox seems fine - So my bad for jumping to conclusions something was wrong with the servers :) Thanks again and have a great day!

1704960823269.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!