Proxmox VE Notifications ignoring /etc/hosts (kinda)

BloodyIron

Renowned Member
Jan 14, 2013
it.lanified.com
Due to some intricacies of reverse-proxy stuff (which I'm really not going to go into for security reasons), I have added an entry to the /etc/hosts file for every node in a particular Proxmox VE cluster. This is so that the FQDN of the SMTP server I am sending notifications through resolves to a particular IP, instead of the one for the reverse-proxy. This is so that each node, when sending any E-Mail notification, directly connects to said SMTP server.

When I send a Test E-Mail, it works, and connects to the SMTP server. I get the E-Mail, looks good.

When I do a manual single backup, the E-Mail comes through just fine.

My daily backup tasks for VMs I care about, however, fails. And the problem is that when this task happens and the E-Mail is sent, it resolves to the wrong IP (the reverse-proxy) as it ignores the /etc/hosts line. I know this because I receive a message rejected alert (somehow?) and it reports the FQDN resolves to a particular IP, which... is the reverse-proxy IP and not the SMTP server IP.

I'm not sure if this classifies as a bug, but this inconsistent behaviour does not meet expectations, so to say. I see a bunch of possible solutions I could try, but I wanted to hear from the forums/devs before going further.

All nodes in the cluster are on the latest Proxmox VE version as of a few days ago.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!