Proxmox VE is unreachable via desktop

Jan 30, 2023
I've recently got my hands on a PowerEdge R620, so I installed Proxmox for my homelab setup.

However, I cannot reach the web based VE from desktop.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried:

• Used different browsers/cleared cookies/used a private window
  • Flushed DNS, released/renewed IP, rebooted on the client I was trying to reach the server from
  • Disabled IPv6 on client machine
  • Installed the app on my Pixel phone - I am able to log in from here, but not reach it via a phone browser window
  • I can ping client machines and private/public IP addresses from the Proxmox machine when connected to it and using its shell
  • I can also SSH to the machine from PCs, phone, etc.
  • Checked the configuration file under "etc/network/interfaces" - everything here appears right, correct subnet, IP, gateway, and so on
  • Clean re-installed Proxmox to the R620 and then to a spare disk on my PC (to try on a different host) - same results as above. Tried using a different USB to create bootable, same result.
  • Rebooted router/wifi AP, assigned static IP, made sure there were no conflicts and that assignment lined up with what the proxmox was reporting. Used both static assignment and DHCP for the addressing.
I'm not sure where to go from here, this might be a typical noob question but the research I've done is starting to lead to dead ends or things I've already tried. Any help is appreciated, please let me know if clarification or further elaboration is needed, thank you.

You dont want to be changing the port. You said the mobile app works. I suspect the app uses correct protocol and port automatically. In the browser you can accidentally omit one or the other. Given that you claim that network is configured properly, and you can ssh/etc, the suspicion is that you are not using correct url, have a proxy that interferes, or internal firewall.

Try running this from PVE shell:
curl -sk https://localhost:8006
curl -sk https://publicip:8006
If that works, the service is running and responding. There are no firewall rules installed by default in PVE, so the issue is in your network layout.
Given that you haven't presented any actual errors, network or configuration/command outputs, I suggest you review your infrastructure again.

Every single complaint about being unable to reach PVE GUI in the last few years has been a configuration problem in the user's network, not a PVE bug.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

I've recently got my hands on a PowerEdge R620, so I installed Proxmox for my homelab setup.

However, I cannot reach the web based VE from desktop.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried:

• Used different browsers/cleared cookies/used a private window
  • Flushed DNS, released/renewed IP, rebooted on the client I was trying to reach the server from
  • Disabled IPv6 on client machine
  • Installed the app on my Pixel phone - I am able to log in from here, but not reach it via a phone browser window
  • I can ping client machines and private/public IP addresses from the Proxmox machine when connected to it and using its shell
  • I can also SSH to the machine from PCs, phone, etc.
  • Checked the configuration file under "etc/network/interfaces" - everything here appears right, correct subnet, IP, gateway, and so on
  • Clean re-installed Proxmox to the R620 and then to a spare disk on my PC (to try on a different host) - same results as above. Tried using a different USB to create bootable, same result.
  • Rebooted router/wifi AP, assigned static IP, made sure there were no conflicts and that assignment lined up with what the proxmox was reporting. Used both static assignment and DHCP for the addressing.
I'm not sure where to go from here, this might be a typical noob question but the research I've done is starting to lead to dead ends or things I've already tried. Any help is appreciated, please let me know if clarification or further elaboration is needed, thank you.
Which router are you running in your homelab? If it's a cheap tp-link or D-link with any 3rd party firmware install, please look into the switch settings, there are various issues my friends have had with the same. The firmware tells the router to not let the devices on the switch talk.

Which router are you running in your homelab? If it's a cheap tp-link or D-link with any 3rd party firmware install, please look into the switch settings, there are various issues my friends have had with the same. The firmware tells the router to not let the devices on the switch talk.
I'm using a default Spectrum router/AP combo, model "sax1v1s". I was beginning to suspect this, but I didn't want to make a large purchase if it may have been something simple I overlooked. Considering you said you've had friends with a similar issue, I might just seek a less restrictive replacement for it.

Last edited:
I'm using a default Spectrum router/AP combo, model "sax1v1s". I was beginning to suspect this, but I didn't want to make a large purchase if it may have been something simple I overlooked. Considering you said you've had friends with a similar issue, I might just seek a less restrictive replacement for it.
Let's try and work around this, if you have 1 spare ethernet port on each device i.e the server and the pc try using a "cross-link" ethernet cable and set up the IP static address for the same.

There are numerous tutorial on the web which can help you with the cross link cable setup both physical and software

try using a "cross-link" ethernet cable
For years now all modern NICs have ability to auto-detect direct connection and there has been little if any need for actual cross-over cables. Any cable should do.

I'd be a little surprised if an out of the box big cable company router is blocking port 8080 for some cross-device communication, but not 22, icmp, etc. But just a little.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: RajatSharma
For years now all modern NICs have ability to auto-detect direct connection and there has been little if any need for actual cross-over cables. Any cable should do.

I'd be a little surprised if an out of the box big cable company router is blocking port 8080 for some cross-device communication, but not 22, icmp, etc. But just a little.

Thanks for the info @bbgeek17

Hey all,

The issue was resolved by installing VMware ESXi. I bought an Orbi router/wifi mesh system and set this up, proxmox was still having the same exact issue. ESXi did not. I also tried Xenserver/ XCP-ng and it did not have this interface access issue.
Despite the replies, this was not a network issue. Hopefully a homelab enthusiast/tinker in the future might find this and find it useful.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!