Proxmox VE firewall not blocking SSH

Dec 17, 2021
Ohio
I have a very strict firewall policy that essentially boils down to, block ALL traffic from any and all servers and computers that are not essential to that host's operation or needs.
This seemed fine for a while but I just realized that anything on VLAN 10 can access Proxmox via SSH, even though we have all inbound traffic blocked and the firewall enabled. We permitted VLAN 40 to connect via SSH but that's to be expected since that's where things are managed.
Why can I access Proxmox via SSH on VLAN 10 even though we block inbound and don't have a rule letting SSH permitted on that network?

Why can I access Proxmox via SSH on VLAN 10 even though we block inbound and don't have a rule letting SSH permitted on that network?
SSH is always enabled on the datacenter level unless you deconfigured it.

We permitted VLAN 40 to connect via SSH
How did you do that? I wasn't aware of the fact that firewall rules can be applied on VLAN basis.

How did you do that? I wasn't aware of the fact that firewall rules can be applied on VLAN basis.
I should have clarified that VLAN 40 is an internal VLAN on my network (10.21.40.0/24). You can specify things in the source like 10.21.40.0/24 and it will cover the entire network range. (I'm sorry if made you confused. I'm bad at explaining things)

I should have clarified that VLAN 40 is an internal VLAN on my network (10.21.40.0/24). You can specify things in the source like 10.21.40.0/24 and it will cover the entire network range. (I'm sorry if made you confused. I'm bad at explaining things)
Yes, that is the way I know and do, no problem. Just wanted to clear it.

Often, firewall problems are configuration problems. Happens all the time and I stumbled across them also often. Missed a check mark for firewalling on the NIC or missed the default setting DROP/REJECT (whatever your preference is there).

Yes, that is the way I know and do, no problem. Just wanted to clear it.

Often, firewall problems are configuration problems. Happens all the time and I stumbled across them also often. Missed a check mark for firewalling on the NIC or missed the default setting DROP/REJECT (whatever your preference is there).
I just enforced a rule that lets all nodes communicate with each other but blocks all other IPs on that network then I of course allowed VLAN 40 to communicate to Proxmox via SSH too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!