Proxmox VE + Ceph = how many nodes?

Hi,

yes you can also use 4 nodes.
It is better to have a odd count of nodes.

Because a 4 node cluster and a 3 node cluster can both only lose 1 node.
This is the reason why the most papers are taking about 3 or 5 nodes.

It is perfectly valid to run 4 nodes. I would just increase votes to 2 on a single node, so that you an odd number of votes. Also, do not run more than three ceph monitors.

With Proxmox being installed on the SATADOM, 2 questions arise:
1) where should Ceph monitors be installed
2) do I need journals
I'm assuming you installed Proxmox onto the DOM so that you can allocate all six SSDs to OSD? This will work, but...

- The MON does have some disk access requirements (limited)
- CEPH logs everything, with log entries every couple of seconds.

These two things together could cause trouble because the DOMs write endurance is quite limited. While not quite as quick to die as a USB stick, they are a lot less tolerant of write activity than even older SSDs.

You might want to reconsider and just deploy the base Proxmox on one of the SSDs. You can leave things on the DOM and relocate the logs onto one of the SSDs but by the time you go through the complexity of doing that you have a very similar outcome to just dedicating one SSD to Proxmox - it still burns one of the SSDs (or a partition of it). Better in my mind to "keep it simple and stupid" (KISS).

As for number of nodes: 4 is just fine. 3 works nominally, but can't really maintain fully redundant operation in the face of a failure (assuming replication of 2 [3 copies]). An odd number is better because you can still recover reliably if the network isolates (i.e., if you get two sets of two nodes that can still see each other). Because of this, you can consider 3 nodes the minimum viable, 4 nodes workable and fine, but 5 nodes is the "ideal small site" for Ceph.

Last edited:
Reactions: El Tebe
Ok, so I'll scratch the DOM idea. The DOM was a carry over from a previous XenServer install I had.

If I install Proxmox on a portion of one of the SSDs, what do I do with the rest of the available space, use it for MON?

Last edited:
Trying to get some additional info:

If I install Proxmox on a portion of one of the 6x SSDs, what do I do with the rest of the available space, use it for MON?

If I install Proxmox on a portion of one of the 6x SSDs, what do I do with the rest of the available space, use it for MON?

Buy a small fast ssd for OS and mon like the intel S3610 100GB or samsung SM863 120GB.
You will need only 10% it but you need the write endurance, so it is not worthless.

Reactions: azop and El Tebe
Buy a small fast ssd for OS and mon like the intel S3610 100GB or samsung SM863 120GB.
You will need only 10% it but you need the write endurance, so it is not worthless.

These are the SSDs I have:
5x Intel S3710 - 400GB --use for o/s & mon ?
25x Samsung PM853T - 960GB --use for OSD ?
Is that correct?

Looks like I have enough to build a 5 node cluster?

These are the SSDs I have:
5x Intel S3710 - 400GB --use for o/s & mon ?
25x Samsung PM853T - 960GB --use for OSD ?
Is that correct?

Looks like I have enough to build a 5 node cluster?
That should work well. The older Samsung drives would probably not be the optimal choice (they are known to have some write latency issues under heavy load) but they will probably be OK unless you have a particularly write intensive workload. The 400GB S3710s will be outstanding for OS+Mon.

Happy building!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!